Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please...could use advice!!!!!!

I live in an apartment with my hubby and 2 girls. We have been here since Feb. so, today we get a notice on our door saying that we are disturbing the peace or whatever. What??????? They said that it is our second complaint for disturbing the peace. One on March 28th and one on April 28th (today.) Okay, here's the thing, we never got a notice for the first one. My girls are almost 11, and have quite a few friends in the complex. They like to play just like any other normal kids, and don't make an abnormal amount of noise. So, I went to the office and they said that they couldn't tell me exactly what the complaint was about, just that we were disturbing the peace. Do you think that we have the right to know exactly what it was we were doing so that we can rectify the situation?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

Answers (8)
  • um, i think u should def kno what exactly the problem is..other wise- how will u kno what to fix..i mean what do they expect u to do??

    Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • Yes look who wrote this out and go to that person personally. You have every right to see both complains and what you were doing or saying or whatever wrong GL.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • The old apartment we lived at was like that. The old people would complain about anyone with children until they would finally get so sick of it they would leave. The old bat below us used to say that she could hear my child running all the time. My DD couldn't even walk and was always barefoot!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • Yes, I think you have a right to know exactly what the complaint is. "Disturbing the peace" is too vague. I can see them not telling you who made the complaint but you can rectify the problem if you don't know what it is.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • Disturbing the peace is too vague. You know your family, you know what is going on. I would go back to the office and tell them that unless they tell you specifically what the allegations are then it is harrassment, and possibly discrimination. You want specifics and don't leave until you have them.

    Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • Yeah,how can you fix it unless they tell you exactly what it was for? It's confidential probably to keep you from knowing who filed the complaint (it'd be interesting to see if it was the same person) but they should tell you wth is going on!!!

    Answer by sandypops at 8:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • that is so strange! so you don't know if the problem is tv, or music, or voices or footsteps? there must be something that can be done to learn more. write a letter to the complex manager, and if that doesn't work, perhaps you could write to the owner. there must be a tenant advocacy group somewhere that can help.

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • Don't feel bad........... I live in a bldg that is noisy all the day long. I work nights and so natiurally, I am up nights on my days off. I hear music booming and walls banging and doors slamming all day................. and I get a notice telling me I should not move chairs at night, or shower. I told them that if they stop the nusence during the day when I am trying to sleep, I'll be happy to buy a rug for under my puter chair. What nerve. I havent heard back since, except for my lease renewal at last years rate.

    Answer by GMMOLLY at 2:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.