How do I stop yelling and cussing?

I love my babies, and I want to be a better mother. How do I stop yelling and cussing? Sometimes I am so frustrated, my babies can be a handful, but I have to learn to stay calm and set a better example. My mom always screamed and yelled and we hated it , it ruined our day. I don't want to be that way, my babies deserve better. I am not looking for anyone to say it's ok, you're just overwhelmed etc. I want to hear from some of you who are also trying to do better or have changed in this area.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sometimes it just takes leaving the room long enough to calm down. As long as they aren't hurt, they can be alone for a few moments while you collect yourself. The hard part to this is making yourself leave before you blow. Just keep in mind that your aggravation only adds fuel to their outbursts. I taught myself to talk almost in a whisper. you can't yell if you are whispering and kids tend to calm down or quiet down to hear you which diffuses the situation. Good luck! been there
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I pray and ask God to help me. When I catch myself I repent right away and ask God to help me.
    Anonymous

• ok..its not ok and you know it. This will come back to you,,,imagine your kid yelling back and cursing at you,,,,I can cause I have teens,,who are taller then me! And NO I never cursed at them,,,nip it in the bud now hon,,,walk away,,,count to ten and breathe and remember those little buggers will grow up one day and you are now setting the example they will follow,,,,nothing worse then a teen standing over you and disrespecting you cause you couldnt keep the control way back when,,,,
    Anonymous

• ditto, i always just walk away, it doesnt matter if they are hanging off the ceiling! i do what i gotta do with them and turn around and lock myself in my room for a 10 minutes breather. it keeps me from screaming my lungs out, when i come back the moment has passed and you can talk calmly!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• While I DO believe that God will help, he also says that you have to help yourself to become more godly so this isn't very helpful since she has to train herself to first ask
    Anonymous

• I do not know what her relationship with God is , I was telling her what I do. Christians cuss and yell to which is why we need forgiveness and to repent...all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Not a debate...just giving my advice. Hope it helps.
    Anonymous

• I think walking away is a good idea, I know I can be a control freak about stuff sometimes and their constant bickering is driving me insane. I have been trying to let them work things out more or ignore things. I usually apologive half way thru yelling, I just can't seem to catch myself before I start. Also I need to work with them about being more respectful to each other, and I know this has alot to do with the example i set. So much of our troubles come from talking and yelling over each other. I have 3 children, how do you keep them from talking all day long...sometimes i feel like my mind is gonna implode, i never, ever take a break from them though. I know i should but where am i gonna go? to my room?
    Anonymous

• i had that same problem as a real younng teen,one day i bowed my head and started asking God to help me and he did,i took about a week..till this day i praise God for that, when i was young i use to tell myself "when i grow up and become a mommy i wont cuss" and guess who made it come true..the man above.My kiddo had never even heard me say im P.O ,truts me you can do it,just take one day out a time and get to praying.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Make a conscious effort not to. If you pray, ask for help. If you don't pray, meditate on it. Breathe.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I have been working on myself in this area for a while. One day when I was screaming, I really saw my daughters face. She was terrified. It hit me what a monster I was being to my kids. I apologized to them we all talked about it. I told them my behavior was horrible and completely unacceptable & I was going to act better when they needed correcting. They told me how it made them feel.
    cont......

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2010