I got summoned for jury duty.. but am the only one to watch my son... how to get out of it?

I have my mom here but she had shoulder surgery and can't watch him b/c she can't lift, etc. My son is 19 months. We can't afford day care. Do I just bring him with me the first day and just say "I don't have child care." Or what? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess you could just bring him with you, or go ahead of time and talk to the judge and let them know your situation.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 12:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• you will have to go to the first day. the judge will ask everyone where they stand on the duty. you will have to tell him that you are unable due to childcare. just be honest. they will prob let you go. my partner went when are baby was little and the judge let her go with in about an hour after getting there. good luck.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I was able to write a letter to them explaining my situation. Sometimes they will let you out of it without even showing up. If you write a letter just make sure they excused you before you don't show up.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Judge may take excuse or judge might not,,,,bring baby with you to court if judge wont accept excuse,,,I swear this will work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• OP here: b/c when I called the automated thing said that child care isn't a way to get out of it, you have to show up. my mom and grandma can watch him one day, but that is it. its too much otherwise.
    Anonymous

• dont rely on Grandma take baby to court in stroller.,..and watch what happens,,ahhh the miracles the court excuses us mommys for,,,lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• They said you couldn't get out of it for lack of child care? I was able to get out of jury duty because of lack of child care. My son was 5 and my mom just had back surgery so I couldn't do it.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• So does everyone really think if I just take him with me that I will be excused... b/c that is PROOF I don't have other child care? :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Taking him with you could get you cited for contempt of court...be careful.

Call the clerk's office and talk to a person. MOST counties allow excuses such as child care and medical problems, and you never have to show up. Youy may also be able to get a postponement.

At least where I am, you can get excused for a year for child care issues.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If you were given a card in the mail there should be a list of exempts on the back. One of which should cite that if you have children under a certian age and do not have childcare check here. Check it and mail it back or better yet, take it to the courthouse. This must be done before the summons date. If there was no card, call the courthouse and explain to them that you have no childcare, again before the summons date. By waiting until the summons date you can be held in contempt.

I've done this twice because each time I had NO ONE to watch my kiddies. Good luck and I hope it all works out.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2010