Sucking fingers

DD never took a paci and never sucked her thumb. She sucks her first 2 fingers with palm facing upwards. She only does it when she's tired. How do I get her to stop? She's almost 3 and I have broke her of doing it the rest of the day but now I need to get the nighttime to stop. I noticed that her teeth have started to turn in (not a lot and no one else would notice). Ideas? She's does it in her sleep too.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i did that,you can help her by buying a new pair of socks and wait till she's out and put it in her hand..it worked for me and i actually did that myself cause i knew i was getting to big,you dont even wanna know how old i was.I was a little too late,cause i did end up with braces (first in my whole family,since everyone else is born with natural perfect teeth)
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• baby teeth straightness or crookedness are not an indicator of adult teeth placement. My sons baby teeth were perfectly straight and evenly spaced...beautiul. Adult teeth....crooked as can be. Just sayin'.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My DD does this palm down though. She has done this for a VERY long time! In her 4 month ultrasound she was already doing it. She will be 4 this October and We thought it got better for a while (like only at nighttime) but then it got worse again. even mittens didnt work (she would just suck on them until they were soaked), She doesnt like hot sauce on them (like tabasco) but that still only works for so long and at 3 they just run off and wash their hands when your not looking. So I'm at a loss too. I just give up! If we have to do braces I guess we will. So far so good but I cant handle the fight anymore! GL and let me know if you so come up with something that works. (p.s. even in winter she will suck her fingers -this causes the worst problem because then her hands chap and they bleed)-So lots of cocoa butter.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 2:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My dd was a finger sucker. She even sucked a hole in one of her finger nails. It hurt, so she asked for a band aid. Band aids don't taste very good, so she stopped sucking her fingers. She was a little over 2, she is now 10 and hasn't sucked since. A band aid might help.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• yeah I am guilty of this too :( My mom tried the sock thing and I was like 8 then I think, I just went to the bathroom and wet it down and sucked on it that way. It was a comfort thing to me and as I got older I did it to fall asleep, definitely a hidden secret with me for a long while especially as a pre-teen and those slumber parties! My cousin went thru it too, I hate to say there was no real solution for us we just had to make ourselves quit as time went on. My mom considered the dentist putting in a "rake" at the roof of my mouth, it scared me to death and I cried at the age of 10 and talked her out of it. I have an overbite and slight speech issue because of it, my dad refused braces since I refused to stop when I was younger :( Thats a whole other issue LOL Good luck, and I hope she learns to stop now while she can.Sorry if I in any way worried you further with this, just my true account of finger sucking.
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 1:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• my son was always a finger sucker (same fingers).......they will grow out of it! He is 6 now and no longer does it.
    twinlove3

Answer by twinlove3 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• When my youngest son was biting his nails at age 2 my family physician recommended pure vanilla extract. You simply apply a small amount on to the finger/fingers with a Q-tip and let it dry. We all know how wonderful it smells but applied to the skin it tastes terrible. Just make sure your little one doesn't have any allergies to vanilla and the pure vanilla extract was recommended not the imitation one. After two days of this my son never bit his nails again and he is now 28 years old! I have recommended this to other mothers and they couldn't believe how well it worked :0 Good luck

grndmakwsbest

Answer by grndmakwsbest at 4:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I have family and friends who sucked fingers the way you say your dd does and one of them who is 3 is still doing it the other who is now 10 stopped when she went into pre-school. Good luck... Sorry no advice for ya... Oh and I had a brother till the day he died he sucked his thumb... Go figure'
    Anonymous

• Oh funny, my son sucks his first two fingers, palm up also. I thought he was just an odd one!

My 4yr old is a ex-thumb sucker. She declared at 3 that "3 year olds do not suck their thumbs!" But it took until 4 for her to break the habit, BUT I still catch her now and then.. and now she's moved onto lip picking, so honestly I have no real advice :(

We did use band-aids to help her quit though.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 5:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My 6 year old sucked his fingers so bad!! But it wasn't just his fingers! He chewed a hole in the collar of his jacket, would chew on his sleeves drove me CRAZY! I tried Vaseline, vinegar, gloves socks, hot sauce, taking away stuff every time I caught him etc etc. Nothing worked. So I stopped. I would give him a look if I caught him and thank him for not doing it when he wasn't. He stopped on his own. I believe he did it out of comfort but at the same time you make a big deal about it, it turns into a way of getting attention even though it's the bad kind. Praise your child when they aren't sucking on them and ask her nicely to remove them from her mouth when she does. I would try this if nothing else works. When she is sleeping though try oven mitts if the vanilla doesn't work lol! Good Luck I know how frustrating it can be.
    Bowens5

Answer by Bowens5 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2010