Getting rid of mold!?!

I am moving into a very old house.. my grandmother lived their when she was a child and now shes lettin me and my boyfriend move in, rent free. I was painting the bedroom and removed walpaper and found black stuff.. kinda looked like dirt up between the ceiling and the wall. My friend said it was mold and that i would always be sick living there. What is an inexpensive way to get rid of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If it's that deadly black mold I think you have to have professionals come in and remove it while they wear their special suits. Ugh! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I've had mold in my house and the people cut it out. You don't want to live with that stuff. There's still some in my house that I found the other day and it could be why my son and I have been sick on and off lately.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• This is def black! :( is all black mold deadly? lol idk nuthin about it!
    tae07

Answer by tae07 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Black mold means that it's still growing. The walls were probably wet at some point and never got fixed.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• is there anything i can buy to kill it? without paying tons of money to have the walls tore apart?
    tae07

Answer by tae07 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I've heard of bleach but it might grow back. I wouldn't live in a place with mold. I'm renting my place so they had to fix it but the new mold is probably at a place that can't be fixed so we will be moving out soon.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Thanks for ur replies! Im not even sure if this is mold.. it kinda looks like soil or dirt.
    tae07

Answer by tae07 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Try bleach and if it comes back get it professionally looked at..because it definately can cause health problems to breath that in. I've heard vinegar is good at getting rid of mold and is better on the environment.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• you probably have mold in the 2x4's behind it as well......... so a cover up will only last a short time. You have to remove the drywall and treat the 2x4's and if they are bad enough .... attach a new one next to it.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 2:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010