3 year old with grey hair...

Tonight I noticed a grey hair on my 3 year old son. At first I thought it was just the way the light was hitting it but upon closer inspection I discovered that it is in fact a grey hair.
I started to look over his whole head and have found a few here and there scattered around.
I have no idea what this could mean.
No one in my family has gone prematurely grey so I don't think it's something hereditary.
I read that it could be a vitamin B12 deficiency but he eats veggies and gets plenty of protein.
Has anyone else ever had this?
Should I be concerned?

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 1:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My first gray hairs were noticed at age seven. I doubt it is anything to be alarmed about, but I would mention it to my doctor just to see if there is something going on.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would be calling the dr just to see if it is fixable but I have know some kids that went bald in high school grey by 20, but 3 is a bit early
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• check with his doctor but it could be a thyroid disorder. they can be serious. i doubt that a 3 yr old has a thyroid disorder it could be any thing but grey at his age should be looked at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• anon my son has a thyroid disorder and it was diagnosed at a year. And my grandmother was completely grey at 16. But yeah I would talk to his doctor. Something could be going on.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My daughter had grey hairs by 5 but she has vitiligo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• A friend of mine got her first greys in high school. And some people have a 'skunk spot' that is grey or just lighter than the rest of their hair. It wouldn't hurt to ask a doc, though.
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 11:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• It is completely normal, please do not call your Dr or she will think you are a mental case. My son has always had a couple of grey hairs... are you Asian by any chance?
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 6:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• im 25 and i started to get gray hairs when i was 17 now i got like 7 gray hairs i just dye my hair
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:41 AM on May. 1, 2010