how do you get your toddler to use the potty all the time?

My son will use the potty most of the time but if we go out or at some ones house he won't use it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was scared of the toilets that auto flushed for a while. I just made sure he knew he wasnt going to fall in. lol
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My son just all of a sudden decided that he'd use the toilet. We went out for lunch the other day and I had him in a pull up just in case, and he had a poop and a pee on the toilet in the restroom. I was so proud!
    I took him to the mall for a haircut yesterday and forgot to change him out of his big boy underwear and into a pull up and he didn't have an accident. I asked if he needed to pee, he said no, I said "lets go try anyways just in case." Sure enough, he peed on the toilet and remained dry for the rest of the time we were there.

He used to not even go to the bathroom in our own home. He just changed his mind one day.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I've heard of moms carrying around sticky notes to place over the sensors in public bathrooms so that they do not automatically flush and scare the child. Mine son is starting on potty training, so we've yet to try this idea but I think it's a good one.
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 8:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We carry the potty ring she uses at home with us.... It's a bit of a chore, but I know it won't last forever (we did this with our first, too). At first she was a little nervous about the public restrooms, but now she sees it as an adventure. You may want to consider a special reward (for us it's a jelly bean) for using the potty out of the house.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My son hated ublic pottys!! We brough our potty from home with us and just set him on it in the car if he needed to go. It worked for us!
    Anonymous