Potty training help?

My daughter is 27 mths old i have been trying to potty train her seens she was 18 mths old she started out really good and used the potty almost everytime i put her on it and most days she would go all day wearing panties with out having a accedent. But now i feel like she is going backwards. She wants to wear pull ups and everytime i ask if she needs to potty she tells me no and screams if it try and put her on the potty. Any advice would be helpful. I feel like i have tried everything and she will never be potty trained.

robinalbright

Asked by robinalbright at 1:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son took a long time. I started around 18 months as well. For a while he did good and the it was like he just gave up. No matter how many stickers I bribed him with for his potty chart or how much praise and encouragement I gave him, he just wouldn't go.
    I tried not to force him or pressure him too much because I didn't want him to resent going to the potty or anything.(he's very sensitive)
    Over the past month or two(he's 3 now) he has all of a sudden just started going pee and poop on the toilet. He decided he didn't want to use the potty so I got potty seats for on the big toilet. Now he's decided he doesn't want or need those either. He wants to "pee like mommy and daddy on the big toilet".

I don't know what changed. He just started doing it. It's gotten to the point where we even went out for lunch(with a pull up on just in case) and he went to the restroom twice, once for a pee and once for a poop.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• He back tracked after his sister was born(she's almost 9 months old now) but has made a huge improvement lately.

I just kept trying without being too pushy.
    Kept asking if he needed to pee or poop. Kept asking if he wanted to try sitting on the potty. When he didn't I'd say "Oh, ok. Maybe later then." and we'd try again later.
    Any time he sat on the potty I'd make sure he knew how happy it made me and every time he peed or pooped on the potty we'd call Granny and Granda that night to tell them about it and they'd praise him over the phone.

I think when he realized how much we genuinely were and are proud of him and are happy about him peeing and pooping in the toilet, he started to "try" to pee and poop on the toilet more than he actually needed to. Now he's very aware of the warning signs and has had very few accidents.

Now to figure out the night time stuff. Lol!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i have the same problem with my son, so far we just try every 30 min to ask him if he needs to or wants to go potty nights are the worst cause i don't want to wake him to see and he has not yet learned the signs. i can only say just keep trying it will happen sooner or later. if you are really worried you can bribe her with 1 smarties for pee and 2 for poop but that is not a good way to do it because it encourages bad eating habits and can have lasting damage to her teeth (it works though as bad as it is) my husband and i don't want to use it we are hoping to train with out bad habits you can try rewarding her with hand washing. if you use foaming soap or soap that bubbles alot it makes it fun you can also try elmos potty time movie to get her into going if she likes elmo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Hello there to you! My advice to you is to get rid of the pull ups! Those are a big mistake for potty trainning I think. The very best thing that you can do is to plan to stay home for at least three to four full days if you can and only let her wear regular panties so that she knows the consequences of her actions. From my experience of potty trainning 6 children is to reward them with something that they love. One of my little boys loved capri suns, so that was his reward and he loved it! Consistency is most important so do not give up!! Best of luck to you!!
    jeanniewith6kid

Answer by jeanniewith6kid at 4:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i agree, if the pull-up is not available and you are persistent, she'll get that the easiest option is using the potty.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Here's what our family has been doing for several generations. Works great & quickly. Invite the child into the bathroom with you. A closed door makes it mysterious & scarey. If they see mom & dad doing it, it must be a good thing. Next, we always used multi-colored mini-marshmallows. Get a big plastic jar, fill it with the marshmallows & call it potty candy. Everybody can have it but only after pottying. One for pee & 2 for poop. Make a big deal over it."Oh boy daddy made pee pee. I get one potty candy." After a couple of weeks you will be able to get rid of the jar.
    This has always worked for us. Good luck.
    1bionicgranny

Answer by 1bionicgranny at 10:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2010