Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I need to be qualified for to work in a daycare center?

I am making a big career change here very soon. I am ready for anew change especially since I have a baby now, I am wanting to work with children. I love kids and love to teach! I have my food handlers card, I have my CPR training for adults, and will be getting mine here soon for infant and children, although I know how to do it. I still am getting my CPR cards, I love to cook, bake, read, and help others. I am a great mother, a great wife, and again am great with children.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (9)
  • Sorry about a few errors I made. LOL ("Getting tired.")

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • Sounds like you have an excellent foundation already! Are you thinking about running this from your home or working for a day care provider? One thing that you may need is a Finger Print Clearance Card this is done through the state all teachers have to have on and people who work with kids. Most day-cares do require one. Good luck in your future carer choice.


    Answer by Sarahedger at 3:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • You may want to look into CDA education. Child Development Associate, I think it is. In CT, we are currently looking for staff at my center with ONLY their CDA or very close to finishing it. It's not a degree exactly, it's a certificate program. Some community colleges offer it, I think you can take it online (but you also need a place to go do observations of children.)

    Good luck!

    Answer by kjrn79 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • Sounds like you are on the right path... as pp stated, look into your CDA It did not take me long to get mine... also check out your local community college to see about Child develop classes that you can take, most often they are not to expensive... the center that I worked at paid for all of my education training so that helped me a lot... also if you are planning on working in a center, you may want to know your options of bringing your child there too...
    Good Luck...
    I worked as Head Teacher for 6 yrs early 4's and 2's until I retired to become a full time grandmother/mom again... those are some memorable yrs tho...

    Answer by gmasboy at 8:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • I worked in Daycare for 5 years. I Live in Tennessee so I have my TECTA certification. Most daycare centers just require a knowledge of the age group you would be working with. If you choose to work with Pre-K, then you MIGHT need your CDA. Most parents of that age group want their children to be learning from a certified person. The most important trait to have is patience.

    Answer by Corrie79 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • You need to contact your state's Child Care Resources. They are normally the department that regulates all child care in your state, and can direct you on how to move forward. They'll usually require you to take classes and will give you info on how to get your licensing.

    Answer by Fawn80 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • When I worked at one- they just wanted warm bodies that would change diapers and be treated like crap and paid min. wage...

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • If you can change a diaper and are alive you can work at a daycare center. I worked at one in high school and they will pretty much hire anyone who isn't a convicted felon or a pedophile.

    Answer by laciD at 10:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • I used to work in a daycare too. You had to be 18. Have a high diploma and took a cpr/first aid course. You also, have to take 20 hours of contiuing ed courses a year. You also put up with a ton of crap from parents, workers and kids. Pay isn't great either.

    Answer by extremelibrary at 7:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.