Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have to be certified to work in a daycare facility? Or just CPR and food handlers?

I ask because I have so much experience with children and now being a mother it's doubled even more, I also watch children in our nursery at My church.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I worked in a child care center that only required food handlers and CPR/first aid training.. but you had to be working towards being certified to work there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • It used to vary by state and maybe it still does, I don't know. I worked in a daycare in Wyoming years ago and I did not have to be certified. Just the director had to be certified. Everyone did have to be CPR certified, but no food handler card though. When I moved to Oregon 8 years ago, you either had to have a degree in preschool or you had to be going to school for it and have a certain number of credits and be CPR certified and have a food handler's card. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of the right credits and my experience didn't qualify me. Since then, I have done some in home daycare, but not licensed and I'm thinking about starting up again this fall.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • To work in a childcare facility, usually all you need is First Aid certification (a one or two day course for CPR & whatnot). Most in-home childcares vary though. I worked at one with no certifications before.

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • Depends. Many centers here in CA require a certain number of Early Childhood Education credits.

    Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

  • Where in CA are you gdiamante? Like, NorCal SoCal etc? Just wondering because here in SoCal where I live I haven't encountered a single childcare facility that requires that except the one run by the local college early development class, in which case you also have to be a student majoring in that area to work there...

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2010