Should I go back to school when my kids are young?

I am a mother of 2 dds (aged 4 and 18 months). I am 22 years old and have always wanted to go back to school. My first pregnancy (a surprise at 17!) kept me from my plan of going to college immediately after highschool. I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately and I feel like it's time for some change in my life. I feel like I need to go back to school for myself AND for the benefit of my family. I am looking to pursue nursing. There is a 2 year program that I want to take starting this summer. All this would be great except that they don't offer night classes and my dh works days. I would have to leave the girls with other family members while I went (I'd be home by noon). My older daughter will be starting pre-k in the fall so I feel guilty if I don't take the opportunity to be able to have one on one time with my younger one. I think it would better our financial situation later, but at what price? I'm losing sleep!

MamaApril2

Asked by MamaApril2 at 5:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in

• Completing your education and having a career is the best way for your children to have a secure future, and for you and your spouse to have a comfortable retirement.

When your kids are older (12-18), they will need a parent around much more than they do now.

Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2010