Developmental Screening?

My DD is 12 months old. She can say Mama, dada, bubble, hungry, she waves bye bye and hi, and says No no as well. She can point and pick small objects up fine (better than fine ><). But when it comes to walking, she's falling way behind. They want her to be able to stand unassisted in the middle of a room, and she still only pulls up on things, and walks only while holding at least one hand. She sometimes stands on her own, but only when I trick her and hand her a toy and she forgets, but when she gets bored with the toy, or realizes she's not holding anything, she sits right down.
How can I help her to learn to stand unassisted and to walk? I've tried walkers and she refuses to use them. And my mom makes me feel terrible by saying every one of her 8 children walked before they were 14 months old... And I don't think at my DD's current progression that she will walk by then.
She's also a big baby, 27lbs and 31 inches.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Always remember that if they are excelling on one thing that another may faulter. If she is trying to get a word said than she may not get the walking. Let her develop on her own. Let her get their on her own.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Do not fall for the mommy guilt!
    I think your dd is doing just fine! Many kids are walking by the time they are 12 months, many more by 15 months! She's walking holding on with one hand??? Instead of focusing on standing/walking, play games involving kicking her legs in a sitting or lying down position. How do you feel about getting her swimming? I bet before another month goes by you are going to be back on here saying something like "how do I stop her from running, she's faster than me!"
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think she sounds like she is doing just fine. My friends baby just turned 17 months and just started walking. Some babies may take up to 18 months before they do and nothing is wrong with them. She just may not be ready yet. One day she will be standing there holding on to the couch and the next moment without you even noticing at first, she will take off across the room.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2010