Help! Mommy guilt!

I am a mother of 2 dds (aged 4 and 18 months). I am 22 years old and have always wanted to go back to school. My first pregnancy (a surprise at 17!) kept me from my plan of going to college immediately after highschool. I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately and I feel like it's time for some change in my life. I feel like I need to go back to school for myself AND for the benefit of my family. I am looking to pursue nursing. There is a 2 year program that I want to take starting this summer. All this would be great except that they don't offer night classes and my dh works days. I would have to leave the girls with other family members while I went (I'd be home by noon). My older daughter will be starting pre-k in the fall so I feel guilty if I don't take the opportunity to be able to have one on one time with my younger one. I think it would better our financial situation later, but at what price? I'm losing sleep!

MamaApril2

Asked by MamaApril2 at 5:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have one DD, and I plan on starting going to school as soon as possible. It's for your family, your DD will understand and she'll still get plenty of time with you after you get home from class. When you start working, it will be the same, as long as you set out time for her, then you'll be fine. Just remember that your kids come first and you'll always make sure to spend time with them, no matter if you're working or going to school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You have nothing to beat yourself up over! I'm a sahm, and my sister is a working mom, and my mom is a nurse. You have NOTHING to feel bad about!

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You could wait tell both kids are in full time school to start school. But that is like 4 or 5 years away, right? Or you can sacrifice your time with your kids and go to school now. All depends on what you think is best for your family.

Answer by louise2 at 5:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Completing your education and having a career is the best way for your children to have a secure future, and for you and your spouse to have a comfortable retirement.

When your kids are older (12-18), they will need a parent around much more than they do now.

Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I really think you should do it. You never know what will be going on 4 or 5 years from now when both kids are in school. Your financial situation could be such that going to school rather than working isn't an option. Plus, it will give you something to fall back on if, heaven forbid, something were to happen to your husband.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms. You need this now for your future and your kids will need you more when they get older.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i know it can be hard being a mom, sometimes we can lose our identity. i would wait one more year and then go. i think nursing is a great choice for moms. schedules are pretty flexible!really, the choice is for you and your dh/ so. it is a tough choice, but what ever you choose, know that you put your heart and soul into your decision, and don't you dare feel guilty :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010