Body Image: Do you think it is a woman's obligation to shave?

I recently read an article that said that women who reject those society pressures have greater global self-esteem. While women who succumb to the pressure to fit in do so in more than one area that just shaving.

I personally think every one should shave under their arms..men included but noone should have to shave their legs. Women freaking out about leg hair makes them start freaking out about hair every where and they start to shave their arms and other places too. It seems like a time consuming problem.

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 8:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Obligation? No... do I WANT to... YES! I feel gross if I don't!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Only to herself. In some circles though, Men prefer women unshaved. I agree with ruttermama, I feel gross if I don't
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I only shave when I feel like it, or if I plan on wearing shorts. DH wanted to get "romantic" one time and I said "but I didn't shave my legs" and he said "don't worry, neither did I". no pressure here :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i never feel obligated to shave. I do under my arms because i wear lots of sleeveless tops. I don't shave my legs that often though. I will if i'm going out and wearing shorts but i often wear jeans. I have seen a very pretty girl with very manly hairy looking arms once..i assumed that she shaved them because she was very fareskinned and had light hair but had those hairy arms...it was pretty gross!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Ok..you may WANT to but I am asking do you think if you didn't want to you could just simple choose not to or do you think you would have to face lots of pressures from society. Which would make it a woman's obligation to shave for society standards.

I get what you mean. As soon as someone picked on me for having hairy legs I started to shave. Ever since then it is out of habit that I do. I don't feel right if I don't shave.

IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 8:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If you don't want to then don't - I don't think anyone should feel obligated. It is pretty freeing when you stop doing things to live up to societal norms and pressures. I have stopped doing various things, however I still shave my legs - I like how it feels when I have smooth legs, I wouldn't keep doing it because I felt obligated to or less womanly..It's a shame that many people do feel that way.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• See you are saying that it is gross for a woman to have hair on her body. But we were born that way just like men. So why were women pressured to have to be different instead of choosing our own comfort?
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 8:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No one is "obligated" to do ANYTHING to their bodies that they don't want to do. I think everyone should wash and use deodorant...Nothing worse than being stuck next to someone who stinks. But shaving, cutting hair, manicures... No one's business but the person who owns the body.
    IzzeAddy... I am more comfortable without hair. So, your argument about "comfort" falls apart.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• however, i DO feel obligated to shave when i go out in public even though i do not want to.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i would love to be able to wear a pair of shorts and not have to shave my legs. I just feel like everyone would be looking at me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2010