What is expected when your child enters kindergarten

My 4 y/o is soaring in preschool. He just turned 4 on April 11th, and started preschool January 4th of this year. I haven't spoken to his preschool of what is going to be expected of him through out the year and by the end of next year when he enters kindergarten. He loves learning, but his social skills are very lacking. We do different things in the community but he hasn't opened up to a lot of kids yet. Which worries us, but he may just be very shy. So I'm wondering - academically what will be expected of him to enter? Trying to get little lesson plans together for the summer so he just doesn't magically 'forget' and go back to square one in September?

mom23boys679

Asked by mom23boys679 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm sure he will do fine. Let him have a relaxing Summer because when school starts he's going to be busy. With that said, our youngest is in Kindergarten, he was very shy, and would only hang out with maybe one or two of the boys in his pre-K class. He has one really good friend now, and that's fine with me. He's the helper in his class, when some are having trouble, his teacher puts him with that child and he helps them along. I'm proud of him, and I don't expect him to be perfect, it all came on it's own. If you push them too hard it will stress him out more. You can go over things during the Summer but I'm sure he'll be fine...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Sight words or the beginning of reading. Know, spell and write his first and last name. Bathroom unassisted (for the most part). Prefer tie their own shoes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Our school doesn't expect them to know anything going into kindergarten. But it's helpful to know at least most of their ABCs by site and be able to copy/print them, write their name and count to 20.
    that's about all my kids knew and they all excelled in kindergarten. My oldest didn't even know the sounds of the alphabet (well, she knew some of them) but was reading by Christmas and by May she was at a 2nd grade level (she was still 5...summer birthday). My other 2 didn't really learn to read in kindergarten. They just didn't really focus on that. Unfortunately the 1st grade teacher expected them to know how to read (different school from the 1st child). I didn't know that with my son but the next year was my mid. daughter's turn so I had to teach her to read over the summer. She's finishing up 1st grade and doing fine now, so's my son (who is in 2nd grade).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• What will be expected of them for K really depends on the school system itself. It is going to vary wildly from state to state or even district to district. For example, anon here mentions reading basics and sight words. In my children's school district, however, reading basics and sight words are considered core components of 1st grade. MOST student enter 1st not yet reading here. There is absolutely NO expectation on an incoming kindergartners to have any basic reading skills or have amassed sight words. Some do and can (mine did) - but it's not required.

Ask your preschool. Look up grade level requirements and/or curriculum outlines on your school districts web site.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Sometimes the kindergarten teacher will send home a list of suggested reading for the summer. Even if she doesn't, get into the habit (if you aren't already) of reading for 20 minutes every day. Do this whenever it is a good time -- waiting for an appointment, just after lunch, at bedtime. Anything you can do to help your child learn that reading is an enjoyable activity will help enormously as he goes through school. Don't expect anything other than it will be fun to read. The rest will follow. Encourage him to choose his own books at the library, and if you can, try to buy lots of books that are his own to keep and read whenever he wants to .
    I take books in the car all the time, I limit video games and TV, my kids have bookshelves in their rooms. They love to read.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 11:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i find what they look for is that the child can follow directions like color, cut then glue. they want a child that will walk in line and sit in a circle. they should be able to count to 20, if they can count objects that is better than just reciting the numbers. they should be able to write their first name, first letter capital, followed by lowercase. the should be able to use scissors, stand on one foot. shy should not be a problem :)
    letter recognition, and some sounds are good.
    i am sure your lo will do great!
    good job mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think your son will do great! And over the summer make your lesson plans more hands on before its time to focus on school. As far as your child being shy, if you think it will be an issue I would just give his teacher a heads up. Also ask your child's preschool teacher how he interacts with the kids there. The teachers in both settings should be able to come up with a number of good ideas to get him to open up more if they thinks its necessary. But I definitely wouldn't force it on him - like trying to push him into friendships. An easier way to approach it would be to play a game with your son at the park, invite another child to play and once they are both into the game you kind of fall back.

Anonymous

• Regarding your child being reserved, this article is great.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t110223.asp
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• my son in k now here like it i think ur son will like it too
    lovingheart26

Answer by lovingheart26 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I used Leap Frog DVDs, the BOB phonics books and read to him a lot. I hate reading Dr. Suess but it is good for repetitiveness and letter sounds. DS started K reading at a 2nd grade level but he was the only one; it wasn't the norm.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2010