How do you get your 3yr old to do number 2 in the potty?

My daughter will go to t he bathroom during the day but never poo...she seems to hold it till the pullup at night for bed...any suggestions? Also how long do you allow them to sleep with pullups...or how long did you wait before you didn't give them a pullup at night?

Lschrum

Asked by Lschrum at 8:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is she wetting the pull-up at night? They're all so different with their bladder capacities while they're unconscious. My 3 year-old still soaks a pull-up at night (though she *just* had her first dry morning ever a few days ago and now she's dry every nap, which didn't used to be the case), but my 19 month-old is dry 95% of mornings, so it really just depends on the child. But if she's able to stay dry through the night, I would stop giving her the pull-up. Also, when she does poop in one, you can dump it into the potty and show her that you're happy to see it there in the potty. And maybe offer her a special reward for putting her own poop in the potty (and not in her pull-up I mean).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• PP has good advice. My DD now almost 4 did this for the longest time and then she started pooping on the floor when i took the diaper away really gross and really annoying!! Well I would tell her how mad I was and ask her where the poop goes and of course she would say potty. Well this went on for months and I was getting so annoyed but I didn't want to punish her because you hear of those kids who hold it all up there and then have to get an enema and stuff. Well finally I got just so annoyed I punished big time she was in her room for almost an hour (yes I know how long time how is suppose to be for that age but with Her that doesn't work) When she came out she kept saying how sorry she wasn't and wouldn't do it again and the next day she did it AGAIN. So she got punished even longer and she went to bed that night early. The very next day she pooped in the potty and shes been doing it all the time for about 2 months now!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If you figure it out please let me know. We have tried EVERYTHING.
    Letting him run around naked.
    Putting him on the potty every 20-30 mins regardless.
    Giving him treats/stickers every time he went in the potty (both pee or poop)
    Punishment for hiding and pooping in his pants.
    Putting him in underwear and keeping a very close eye on him and asking him regularly if he has to go.

NOTHING has worked. He still hides to poop, will only sometimes let us know he has to go pee, etc.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I have the same problem. My three year old has been potty trained with pee for almost a year but when he has to go poop he begs for a diaper. I just dont get it....
    BabyBoyBlue

Answer by BabyBoyBlue at 7:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Well now I feel better...mine's not the only one. I wish he'd just start letting me know when he has to go. Good luck moms.
    MESMOM07

Answer by MESMOM07 at 2:20 PM on May. 3, 2010