Garden question...

I discovered that the stray cats have been using my garden as a litter box, even my dogs now pee in there. I refuse to plant my veggies in there. What can I do? I don't want to relocate the garden(I'm not sure that will help). I have even found cat poo in my flower beds!!!! :(

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 9:03 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• good fertilizer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• ??? Did you mean it's good fertilizer or to get good fertilizer? I have tried fertilizer! They still use it!
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Read up on Blood Meal, it's supposed to help keep critters out of your Garden. It's a powder, and easy to apply. You might want to check with someone at your local nursery/garden center.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You could try a solution of 2 Tbsp of orange or lemon extract per gallon of water and spray it around your garden and plants. Dryer sheets tied to poles can also help.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I trap the stray cats in the neighborhood and send them to the humane society. The owners have 5 days to come find them and when they do, it costs $80 if they are not spayed/neutered and $40 if they are or they are willing to do it right then. I've never had the same cat twice, so i guess the owners of these cats either learned their lesson, or never cared enough to go get them.

Your local ASPCA, or Humane Society will have traps that you can borrow, usually with a deposit. Or you can find them at a pet store or on-line.

Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Honestly it won't hurt your veggies, but if you plant some flowers instead maybe when it gets full they will leave it alone--you could also try a rubber snake perhaps that will make the cats leery of it,, my grandma used to put human hair in her garden it kept away rabbits and stuff, but I have no idea about cats, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I found a link for you- and there is a LOT more info readily available. Check this first, and then google "Cat Poop In Garden"

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Dogs and cats don't like strong smells like ammonia, vinegar, citrus oil, or rubbing alcohol. Those things are strong to us, imagine what they do to a dog's olfactory senses. Soak cotton balls and lay them around your garden. You'll have to repeat it as the cotton balls lose the scent. Do NOT pour those things directly into the garden; you can kill your plants.

If you have roses, take the cuttings and spread them in the garden. The thorns will discourage digging.

Remove soil from the areas that have been used by the dog & cat. The smell can draw them back.

I had a cat that persisted in bypassing everything I tried to keep her out of my flowerbeds. Finally I laid marble chips around the flowers and she gave up.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I lay flagstone (natural flat stone) in my mulch so they cant dig. Looks pretty too.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Dogs like blood meal, cats hate it. Put crushed egg shells in your garden also, deters slugs and cats. Plant catnip somewhere else. It will keep them busy. :)
    Pee and poop in your garden is not going to be a problem if you wash your fruits and veggies. We PUT chicken poo on our garden on purpose. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2010