Sexual Assault

April is Sexual Assault Awareness month so I am spreading the news.

#25 In 1 in 3 sexual assaults, the perpetrator was intoxicated — 30% with alcohol, 4% with drugs.

#26 In 2001, 11% of rapes involved the use of a weapon — 3% used a gun, 6% used a knife, and 2 % used another form of weapon.

#27 84% of victims reported the use of physical force only.

#28 Juveniles accounted for 16% of forcible rape arrestees in 1995 and 17% of those arrested for other sex offenses.

So why do we let this crime be one that remains in the dark and is rarely talked about?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• #29

purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• And if you would like to help RAINN (Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network), just let me know. I am running a fundraiser and all profits are going to RAINN. All the information above comes from RAINN's website.

purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:34 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Because it carries a stigma of shame, and a lot of times when it goes through the court system defense lawyers will shift the blame on the victim, which is totally wrong, but used as a defense regularly. Victims don't speak out as often as they should.

Answer by older at 9:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would be one of those who never reported- for several reasons, including the fact that it was my ex-boyfriend. The sorry SOB actually called me a couple years ago, and begged me not to tell his wife the truth because she would leave him. I let everyone else who knew tell her the truth, and she ran far and fast. That is by no means "justice" as he deserved it, but it was a penalty none the less. My personal reason for not reporting the rape? The first person I told, laughed at me and said "Oh, he's been telling people for months that you put out. Don't lie, no ones gonna believe you".
    The attitude that is projected toward rape victims is the biggest reason why so many are left unreported. To this day, most of the people who were involved in my life at that point, still side with him, and refuse to believe that I lost my virginity to him through rape.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Even worse, was that I had to face him even after that, on a regular basis. At church no less.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:43 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• HUGS ObbyDobbie. My friends have done the same thing (of siding with my rapist). It sucks. You are not alone though and karma will eventually catch up to him.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Oh, Karma has. "Andrew Aldridge" has had some bad luck over the past couple of years... This happened almost 11 years ago- In a couple more days. He apparently admitted what happened to a friend of his, one of the ones who believed him so many years ago. That was when he tracked me down. This friend told his wife, and apparently his church- he was a budding youth pastor. He no longer has a wife, or a job.

Karma, get you every time.

He is paying for what he did to me. Not as much as I payed then, but he has his regrets. I am almost tempted, now that he has kids, to tell him that he got me pregnant, and I miscarried. But that would just be cruel.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:10 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My friend sided with my rapist as well = (
    la_bella_vita

Answer by la_bella_vita at 10:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• La_Bella.... I empathize with you. I lost most of my circle of friends, because they sided with him. He was your typical HS senior, on the wrestling team, big jock, popular... He had been telling everyone for months that I was the best he had ever had, when in reality, he hadn't even gotten to 2nd base. I was 14, and got into a situation I couldn't get out of, and was then told I was a liar, and was blamed for it, and told that if I would have put out, it wouldn't have happened. It's sick what people will say and do to you when you're hurt.
    Obviously, I have accepted what happened. I don't feel "damaged" by it, but I do feel violated, even now, 11 years later. I refuse to let it affect my relationship, or my sex life... It is something bad that happened, and it is over. End of story. It's not always easy to tell myself that, as he was effing BRUTAL, I won't get into details. But, the world moves on. And so did I.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I also didn't tell - until MUCH later. I was molested/raped by the same person 5 times over a period of 9 years, starting at the age of 8. I didn't tell anyone because I was terrified. Not of him, but that my family wouldn't believe me (he was a cousin) or that they would be angry that I ruined the family.

When I did tell, it wasn't really my choice. I had just been abused for the final time, and broke down on my then-boyfriend. He told me that I had to tell my family that night - or he would for me. I was angry with him at the time, but now couldn't be more grateful.

All I know is that I will beat it into my daughter's brain that she can tell me ANYTHING, no matter who does what to her, GOD FORBID. I will let her know, when she is old enough, about my own story, in hopes that she will understand that she really CAN tell me anything.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2010