What do I do when my toddler throws things at me and hits me?

jeanetteski

Asked by jeanetteski at 9:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would let him know that throwing things at mommy is not ok tell him in a serious voice NO make sure he knows your not joking
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I take whatever it is and say Mommy does not like this,, and I put DS in a chair- I do not engage with him at all for 2 minutes,, he really has stopped this, hope it works!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Welcome to parenthood 101. They all do it. They are expressing their anger and frustration because they aren't able to communicate verbally their needs. Their little minds works quicker than what they can verbally express and that is how you get the physical retaliation. Give them the words they need, help them understand what appropriate behavior you are expecting from them. This too shall pass and patience is the key. If you get angry, frustrated, yell, spank, etc... You are modeling behavior they will think is acceptable and will try it too eventually. Not saying you are doing any of those things but I see a lot of it. It comes out in their play. Give it time, help them through it. You can do it!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I throw whatever my son throws at me back at him. He's learned that throwing things hurts people, so he doesn't do it anymore. Good luck, but keep in mind different things work for different children.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If he has a favorite toy or blanket , you could take it away.And tell him when he doesn't hit or throw things at you he can have it back.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• BisketLiss, what a great example....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Gee whiz, nobody said you scream bloody murder and beat the living sh*t out of him. Hey if the other stuff works fine. But I would NOT recommend throwing things back at him. A controlled spanking is much better than throwing things back at a child. I consider yelling and spanking the natural consequences of baby throwing things not behavior to be modeled by a verbally limited young mind. If he threw something at another child what would be the natural consequences?  The other kid would hit him.  There you go.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My daughter did this a couple times. She was throwing things at me and her sister. I asked her to stop.I did everything"right" and she didnt stop. So she did it again and I stood her ass up and threw it all back at her.She came running and said sorry I wont do it again.She has not done it again :) I felt bad but how was she going to understand if she didnt experience it herself?I didnt throw anything hard either. As for the hittng my daughter never hit :/ so i cant help in that department.
    Somethings just work different.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Sometimes I wish CPS would monitor some of this discussion. No wonder when kids grow up they think its ok to beat the crap out of someone who doesn't agree with them. Also, how would this discussion go... well he said he would shoot me so I thought I'd show him how it would feel...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• 10:28 AM
    Lol anon.Cps would DO nothing.Im sorry.I dont BEAT my children.It took one time to teach her a lesson.She didnt even cry.Im not saying what I did was right.BUT it did work that ONE time I did it ;)
    I dont yell,I try not to spank.I used to believe that was the ONLY way to raise a child.BUT that is not correct. I will NOT let my children RUN me.Thats whats wrong with kids.they think they can do as they please because parents don't have a back bone to stand up to a child and tell them NO.So please call CPS. They will find a child who behaves,eats,shits,sleeps and is love in a happy home where she is HAPPY.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2010