Should we offer to pay? Couple drama! LOL

Okay once a month DH and I go out with some good friends and share a sitter,,,well long story short, DS had an accident and pooped his pants, the sitter cleaned him up and we thought all was well. I get a call from the husband that said they had to have a plumber come and unclog the toilet due to the fact that the sitter put paper towels down it,,,,He said Billy's little accident cost us $100. I called the sitter,, she is a professional nanny, so I was kind of amazed she would put paper towels down a toilet, she said she cleaned him with a washcloth and didn't put any paper down the drain. IDK I don't want to cause problems, but think that maybe one of their kids flushed something? I just kind of said oh,,but now having the story,what should I do?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Wow, the whole thing is stupid. Here's how I sum it up:

1. Paper went down the drain that shouldn't have. This can be fixed inexpensively, not sure why a plumber is needed unless the guy is really that helpless around the house.

2. If the nanny did it, or a child did while in nanny's care, nanny gets the bill.

3. If you want to pay this bill to not have a riff in the friendship, I think getting a copy of the bill first would be reasonable.

4. If you don't want to, I'd consider not going out with them any longer.

If the guy is still whining about it and not directly asking you for the money, it means he's a wimp and can't just come out and say would you help split the cost. That alone is off-putting to me and would make me not want to unless he actually comes out and asks me.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Lets just Pretend that the nanny did do that. Why the hell arnt they asking her for the money? If SHE did it, it only makes sense that SHE pay for it. Also, if your kid happened to have put paper towels there while the baby sitter was there once again SHE should pay she was watching them. I wouldn't pay its not your fault, besides they cant prove that your kid or the nanny did it. I think its rude of them to say that to you.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Also, I don't see why they had to call a plumber. Its paper in water.....do they not have a plunger???? If they wouldn't work why didn't they just buy a $25.00 buck drain snake and unclog it themselves. I don't get why they had to call a plumber..
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• It's not up to YOU to pay for this. What a ridiculous situation...you still consider these people friends?? How cheap can they get...that's sad.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No, because your child had an accident, and he didn't put the paper towels down the toilet. I would ask the nanny to pay, but I also find it hard to believe she did that! Was he asking for it, did you feel, or do you just feel bad?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I want to say HE didn't ASK us for the money,, but he did make a big deal out of the story,,my hubby said lets just give them $100--when he was telling me the story I asked don't you have a toilet snake? I should also say we are getting ready to go on vacation with them,....already paid for, but I honestly don't want to give them the money! DH talked to him last night,, and a week later he is still griping about the plumber----I didn't want to put the sitter in the middle, so IDK
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• First, if my toilet clogged, I would just use some draino and give it time. so I think its pretty goofy they actually spent $100. paper towels will dissolve with normal drain products. I flushed wipes without thinking and we were able to work it out with drain stuff. Beyond that, they should have called the sitter. You have no control over that. Would they expect you to call if the sitter had cleaned up their son and caused a clog? Of course not. If they bring it up again, maybe just say oh were you wanting us to pay for the sitter's mistake? and see if they don't realize how weird they're being.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You know, if you do decide to pay for this, you should at least ask for a copy of the bill...just to make sure you're actually paying for something that occured, you know? it just sounds really funny to me.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't pay for it mainly because that's one of the many, many expenses of owning a home. You pay for a plumber to fix the pipes every once in a while. To me it sounds like a problem that developed over time, and not a one time occurrence. Very few plumbing problems are a one time occurrence. I have thrown adult diaper wipes down the drain occasionally and haven't had an issue. However, I wouldn't ever have your kid babysat in their house again.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If they are good friends of yours, pay half and don't ever bring it up again.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2010