Why the attitude between SAHM and Working Mothers.

This is a debate I really do not understand. Each group seems to feel superior to the other. I hear it time and again working moms say that SAHM do not provide for their families, are uneducated, or are lazy. SAHM say working mothers are heartless and pawn their children off on other people to raise. Neither are true. There are great SAHM and there are great working moms. Just like there are crappy SAHM and crappy working moms. Why can't women stop fighting and support each other? As long as a women is doing everything she can to raise and provide for her children she is a good mother whether she stays home or works. Everyone's situation is different; what is right for one family may not work in another.

laciD

Asked by laciD at 10:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• they will always fight and this will probably make them fight more! LOL ANytime th topic is brought up each ones says NO I do MORE! Ah who cares get over it and do what you got to do for your family! Quit worrying about what the other side does!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Because its just in women's nature to be bitchy and overly competitive. I love cafemom,but sometimes have a hard time reading some of the stuff posted on here. There are endless debates over breast vs formula. Natural/drug births. There is no perfect mother out there.
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You're absolutely right and therefore have no business on cafemom. This is place where women can hide under the veil of the internet to say hurtful things that they often don't even think just to distract themselves from their boredom or crappy lives and even if they do believe it, would never dare breathe to you in real life. Run while you can.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The ones with the attitude problem are some working moms and I think they have an attitude because they feel guilty. Unless you don't care at all for your babies and toddlers, it would be impossible to leave them in someone elses care for the majority of the day 5 days a week and not feel guilty. They get defensive because they question whether they are doing what is best for their children. It's not natural for a mom to leave her babies for 8 hours a day in someone elses care. It goes against our internal mothering instinct, thus the attitude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I know several working moms who do not have a choice in the matter. They have to work to support their children. Why should they be bashed and looked down upon for providing a roof over their childrens head and food on the table?
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I'm a Sham, but I dont really care if you wok or not, whatever way you provide for your family. It doesnt really matter to me
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I haven't noticed animosity or fighting, but then I have been in both worlds. If there is fighting and sniping, probably it is because it is important to people that their own path be seen as superior, it is a matter of face, of personal pride. They want validation for their choices.

Answer by Bmat at 10:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Because this forum is childish and ridiculous and obsessed with labels and differences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• as a working mom, I get defensive when I hear things like "why have a baby to pay someone else to raise it"

nobody says that to dads... EVER
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Wow.. Anon 10:23!! there is the attitude the poster was talking about. I work 8 hours a day. My children are in daycare 5 of the 8 hours. Do I feel guilty? Absolutely no! Would I love to spend time with them? Of course, but I also love my job and want a career. That doesn't make me a bad person. I think there are moms who work just because they can't afford to stay home. That doesn't make them bitchy. I could stay home if I wanted to, but I don't. I think it's ppl like you anon that causes all of the problems. Just because you want to stay at home, doesn't mean that every mom does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 29, 2010