I have a first communion question about white gloves

it is the season and we all seem to be getting ready for this wonderful special day in our child's life.

I bought her a pair of white gloves. Mostly because she asked for them. I don't care if she has them or not. We were told gloves are optional but if the girls wear them they must remove them before Communion.

I am ok with this but I am a little puzzled. I have seen some woman go to Communion with white gloves on and receive the Body of Christ in their hands. I thought it was respect for the Body of Jesus. Anyone know the protocal on white gloves and the reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have heard you should always take off the gloves before you partake,, I have seen women wear gloves,,,so IDK maybe the priest doesn't have time to play Miss Manners with a long line, LOL! But my Grandma says NO Gloves during the communion! LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:25 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If you receive by take them off. If you receive by mouth you can keep them on. It goes back to the days when ( which is still in effect but nobody pays attention to it) when your fingers where to never touch the eucharist. To take by hand you leave the host in your palm and bow low toward hand and pick up the host with your tongue. Which is why you take off the gloves.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Ask your priest why. It could be as simple as it is harder to hold onto the host and they don't want the child to drop it on the floor.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The proper protocol is to remove gloves before receiving Holy Communion. As this reference explains "Communion may be received either in the hand or on the tongue. The decision belongs with the individual communicant, not the minister distributing communion. A communicant receiving in the hand removes gloves, if any, and holds up the hands to receive with the left hand cupped and open, supported by the right (a left-handed person rests the right upon the left)."   My guess those who keep their gloves on don't know they should remove them and it's not a reason to deny someone Communion so they receive it that way.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• There are two churches that are true to honoring Deity. The church of Smyrna and the church of Philadelphia. The catholic church belongs to neither since it requires devotion to it over devotion to The Trinity.   Their rituals...........  take it or leave it. ...... nothing from nothing means nothing.

GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:22 AM on May. 6, 2010