How do I get her to sleep more??

So, I posted a question on here before about my daughters night terrors, and after taking into consideration, what time she fell asleep each night, and was up the next morning, I have noticed that she is NOT sleeping enough. She plays pretty hard during the day, so I don't know how much more I can do with her to wear her out faster, or get her to play harder. I need any and all advice, as how I get her to sleep longer. She likes to be up when the sun is up (between 7 and 7:30) each morning, when going off of her bedtime, she should not be getting up until 9:30 or 10, if she is to get 10 hours of sleep each night. Please help!

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 10:38 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not everyone needs that much sleep. spend some quality time with your daughter or enroll her in a preschool if you need some me time, but don't force her to sleep if she isn't tired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think you need to find a way to get her to take a nap,, I know it sounds crazy but being overtired is a big cause for night terrors,, could you lay down with her in the afternoon and read a book,, As PP said perhaps you should get her in a pre-school most of them have quiet time and it might get her a better schedule,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Getting up at sunrise is normal. If you don't want her to get up that early you can try block out curtains. It is the light that may be waking her up. Not all toddlers need 10 hours of sleep. Some need as little as 8. Preschool is not the answer for a child that is having problems. It will make things worse.

Toddlers can learn yoga, meditation, music therapy, and other things to help with stress reduction and sleep problems.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I suggested preschool because I get the feeling this mother is having parenting problems and it would provide some serious support. Also the child would be around other children and early childhood professionals. The child can learn and play and the parent can get added support. It wouldn't make it worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Quit putting her to bed at midnight, and get her on a normal kids schedule!! ~ I imagine that she wont go to bed for you, so you let her go until she crashes on her own, and she is in a vicious cycle of being continually sleep deprived, which makes it harder for her to go to sleep and increases the night terrors. She should be getting up somewhere around 7AM, quietly restining in her roomif not napping for at least an hour during the day (right after lunch works the best) and going to bed around 8-9PM every night........It is YOUR job to put her to bed. You cant make her sleep, but you can make her stay there and rest. After about a week of being consistent, it will become routine. She needs to get the appropraite amount of sleep (or even rest) for her brain to function properly so she can learn. Also, make sure you are not giving her soda during the day to keep her awake. Even some at lunch can spill over to bedtime problems.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I agree with ANON that is why I suggested it as well, most kids do need 10 hours of sleep, but it could help to break it up,,DS is 5 and takes an hour nap,, I was thinking the routine of school might help!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• She doesn't HAVE to get 10 hours of sleep. Some toddlers do not require that much sleep. My son is 4 and he usually gets around 9 hours a night.
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Have you tried putting her to bed earlier with a calming bedtime ritual? Wearing kids out doesn't necessarily make them sleep better. Good sleep habits, a good sleep environment, and healthy food do. I would try for a nap and for a bedtime around 8pm. Were you suggesting that she does not go to sleep until 11:30 or 12? yikes, that's way too late!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• (PP here) -- most kids who like to get up between 7-7:30 do not end up sleeping later, no matter how much you try. So it's on the other end that you need to add sleep.
    Anonymous

• I would agree with those who suggested an earlier bedtime. My 12 yr old doesn't stay up that late - he goes to his room around 9 and lights out by 9:30. My 5 yr old has lights out at 8:30 and still takes a 2 hour rest period (and usually sleeps for most of it)during the day.

An earlier bedtime and a calming routine will only help in the long run.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010