Do children HAVE to dress that way for First Holy Communion?

Is it a rule that they must be dressed in a certain way or else they can't participate in that Sacrament?

I've always wondered this. And if it's true, does the church provide funds to help pay for the outfits if someone can't afford to purchase one?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No there is no rule for dress. Kids can actually ware whatever they like. However most families choose to ware traditional attire, it is not mandatory. I bought my sons suit brand new at a resale shop for $11.00. My daughters wore a flower girls dress one of them had used in a wedding two years earlier. Many dresses are donated to the church after First Communion. There are also great deals after the wedding season.  This is all up to the families and what they choose.

Some kids dress in non-traditional clothes.   They aren't turned away, no one cares.  When my kids made their Communions there were several kids who wore other attire and really it wasn't any big deal, kids still seemed happy. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Girls white or pale dress. Boys Dark ( navy or Black) casual or dress pants ( no jeans) white shirt. The veil for the girls and tie for optional. Most of these clothes can be found at second hand stores or discount department stores. like WalMart. I do know that here the St, Vincent DePau society will help with this.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i don't think they do. my nephew just made his first communion. there was only one girl and all boys and basically they wore a robe. so i think every church is different. i have no idea. i remember all the pretty dresses. its like a baptism. i think white is a sense of purity. its not mandatory but i think its just tradition. its a good question.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:06 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• It creeps me out the way they dress as brides.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:08 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Most of us have been looking forward to this for at least a year. So those of us on a budget have been looking for deals or have been saving up. Some children wear family members dresses or suits. A lot of families have someone who can sew so this becomes the gift to the child. Or they buy the outfit as a gift. The children do appreciate this.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• So, this is just something that is tradition? Would they turn away a child for not dressing in that way? I mean if a family or child refused to wear (for whatever reason) the pretty white dress or the cute little suit, would they not be able to attend? What does it matter what they are wearing?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:17 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I really don't know of a family that has not dressed their child in this way. We look forward to it. It is a dress up situation. I know that quite a few people have forgotten that you do dress up for Commencement, Weddings even court. We still believe that you should wear your best for this. And that is a dress for girls and dress shirt and pants for boys.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• It's a tradition thing. My kids go to a Catholic school so the kids are looking forward to First Communion all year. The girls can't wait to get their fancy white dresses. Not sure the boys care much about dressing up but they all do. Since they do it through the school they are required to wear it all. I assume if they don't they won't participate on the big day. Not that they can't take their communion. They would probably have to arrange with the church to do it on another day.
    Our school has a dress exchange to help the families that can't afford a dress but Wal-mart sells them for like $40 and many dept. stores carry them for pretty cheap. I know many families spend over $100 on the dresses. It's a little crazy.
    We're not Catholic so my dd didn't actually maker her communion. She was the only one in her class that didn't do it (she got a day off of school while they did special communion stuff, though).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• As others have said - it's not required it's a tradition. Certainly no one would be turned away for not dressing that way. The White dress symbolizes that she has brought er Baptismal garment un-stained to the Sacrament. It's not about being a mini bride.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I saved up and looked for dresses for a very long time. My oldest daughter wore my dress. This year I purchases a new dress because my daughter asked if she could keep my dress for her daughter. I figured I would give them their own dress to pass on to their children.

There was a girl in my husband's RCIA class that had been baptized Catholic but never received her first communion. She had on a pair of jeans and t shirt.

Not all the girls had veils in my first communion group several decades ago and not all the girls have today. As for creeping out because of the bride look a like. I have not bought a dress that looks like a wedding dress and my daughters do not have a bouquet of flowers. None of the girls do. The veil is smaller and dress is simpler. The veil or some sort of head covering was standard before Vatican II.
    Anonymous