My daughters first birthday...

Long story short. My daughters dad and I are broken up. I am dating someone new and supposedly he is as well. I planned my daughter entire birthday myself and paid for EVERYTHING! My daughters dad is trying to tell me that I can't invite my boyfriend because he doesn't want him around our daughter. He keeps saying that if my boyfriend shows up he's going to make my whole families life miserable. i told my boyfriend about it and he said he doesn't care what my daughters dad says he still wants to go (and I want him to be there). I don't really care what my daughters dad thinks because he's a prick, but am I wrong? Should I have no invited my boyfriend to come to her party? (keep in mind that my boyfriend spends twice as much time with my daughter than her own dad does and is better to her as well).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you can take the possibility of a scene then invite them both. Why not let your boyfriend sit this one out. She is only one. The birthday is mainly for the adults.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 11:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i don't think you are wrong....her dad has the input to daughters life..not yours..yes, it's dd's bday, so it is about her, but if she could out and out talk, she'd probably say that she wants him there...and for all you know the ex can show up with his new flavor...i say take the bf, and don't worry about it.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would leave the boyfriend at home. I like to avoid a scene.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No. Don't allow your life to be dictated by the father. You are allowed to invite whoever you want to your daughter's birthday party, as you are the one throwing the party. Your ex is just bitter that you're dating someone new. It's not about your daughter, it's about the new boyfriend. It's petty and childish. Tell him that if he ever threatens you or your family again that you're going to take him to court. Again, don't let him dictate your life. You are her parent too and are allowed to bring around whoever you feel is safe. If you want your boyfriend there then allow him to be there.

It is your party for your daughter, if the father has an issue with it then he doesn't need to come.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010