Advice Please

My son has been misbehaving in school... he is running around and arguing with everyone, including the teacher. Yesterday he got in trouble for not doing his work and running around in class. At home, I have had talks with him and he says that he can't help himself... that he can't do better. I have taken his precious wii away from him and he still doesn't behave. He has been in trouble constantly for the past 2 weeks. Even at home, he doesn't listen, says rude things and he lies. I'm going crazy here... I love my son with all my heart and I want to help him be better, but I don't know what to do anymore. He is 7 and in first grade.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like my son who was later diagnosed with ADD. Do you think it could be that? Talk to your doctor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:32 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Is there anything at home or school that has changed? Sometimes kids will act out if they do not know how to express their feelings. They will also act out to get attention, in their eyes bad attention is better than no attention.

Anonymous

• You need an effective system of discipline. How long has he been without his wii? In addition to restricting video games, how do you deal with rude behavior when it happens?
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 6:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If it is sudden you may want to try his doctor first to check if there is anything physically wrong.

My son has been having behavior problems in school all year; though we do take him to a therapist I'm going to get him a behavioral evaluation with a center that does occupational therapy (not this one, but similar) http://www.pedsot.net/

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2010