anyone ever have a head ultrasound for baby? (macrocephaly)

hi, my baby has to get an ultra sound done bcause her head size is off the growth charts. the dr. wants to make sure there is no fluid ...im so nervous..anyone ever have to have this done to their baby? and does it take a long time to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I haven't had this specific test done but my kids had a lot of procedures as babies and toddlers. Try to be calm, your baby can pick up on your feelings. Two of my children had neurological problems and it helps so much if you have a nice neurologist. Here is something I found that I hope helps.

One of the more common causes of macrocephaly is termed benign subdural hygromas of infancy. Characteristically, the infant has a normal head circumference at birth and for the first few months. The head growth then accelerates and may exceed the ninety-eighth percentile. Development is usually normal but there may be mild motor delay. These children do well without intervention. The head size usually normalizes by eighteen to twenty-four months and development catches up.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• thanks so much! the dr said her soft spot is almost closed which is a good sign but she is off the chart for size so they want to make sure there is nothing else going on..i hope everything goes well and thanks for the info ;)
    Anonymous

• my dtr was a preemie, so she had a few head u/s's. She didn't put up much of a fight cause she was really young when she had them, but they took about 15 minutes each.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 8:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010