Do you think women on here try to convince other women to leave their DH/spouse too often?

I see it a lot. A woman asks a question about relationship problems, and several women say she should leave him. And a lot of times it's something that can be worked out if both parties put forth the effort. Do you think that's one of the problems with today's society? When things get a little rough, too many people give up without trying. Is that how these women raise their children? As quitters? Now don't get me wrong, I understand that some problems just CAN NOT be worked out, but I think divorce is taken way too lightly these days. You with me?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have to be honest and say I think in general the divorce is taken way too lightly. Don't get me wrong there are times that it is the only option, but I have witnessed a good number of my friends say, "well if it doesn't work out we can always get divorced." In my opinion if you can say that DON'T GET MARRIED. At least not yet because it should be seen as a lifetime commitment and that divorce should only be for fitting situations.

For example I had one friend who got married after dating for only 6 months. (I believe they had only been together for 3 months when they had gotten engaged). When some of us talked to her about thinking it was moving kind of fast she said, "well my parents got married this fast and look they were married for SEVEN YEARS and that is a long time." Well not really because marriage isn't a 7 year commitment it is a lifelong commitment.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Honestly, I find more often then most that women on here are trying to convience other women to stay with their spouse. Whether he's cheated, she's cheated, there's verbal abuse, etc. I find that most women (and some women in particular that I can name, but won't) try to convience other women to stay and work it out. I stand on the fact that not all problems that can be worked out should be. Like if he's cheated for example. Sure, they can work through that and may live a semi-happy life afterward. I believe though that nobody should stay with someone who's cheated. They went to someone else to meet their needs instead of their spouse. That's not love, not respect, not trust, and it shouldn't be condoned by working through it.

People anymore go into marriage thinking "I can always divorce him." That is why marriages don't work out, ontop of people bailing when it gets too tough.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• actually no i dont agree with you. maybe in some situations, yeah ... but i think that men will treat a women the way you let them treat you, and i think women put up with mens shit way too often. i think if you keep giving them another chance and "working on it", they will know that everytime your going to just give it another chance. i think that life is too short to not be happy, and to stay in a marriage that your not happy in and possibly miss out on your real soulmate just to make things work, or stay together for the kids. one thing that i think is completley unforgiveable and should really never be worked on is cheating. i think its disgusting, its the most disrespectful thing you can do to your partner, and the relationship should end immediatly if it occurs.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Most women base their answers on what they would do in a certain situation. A lot of women feel they are obligated to stay in a relationship because of their children they do not realize that being in a volatile relationship only hurts the children not make it any better. It is a known fact that women who have men who have cheated on them can quite come to terms with the action, even after counseling and there are relationships out there that are toxic. NoI don't think divorce is taken lightly, to a lot of people it represents failure, and nobody wasnts that!

Answer by older at 12:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I agree. I have seen so many people say " I wouldn't let him get away with that" or " I would leave him in a heartbeat" or " I would knock him out and then leave". My first thoughts usually are that it is easy to say what you would do when it's NOT you. I have learned the hard way that those remarks usually get crammed down your throat. Not every case is the exact same. Human beings are complicated different souls. I also see why there are so many divorces, it seems like people don't want to work for their marriage. Once it is no longer the fantasy they give up and go look for somebody else. Of course there are cases where divorce is needed but I believe usually divorce comes before the hard work.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• kfroz...

That's one thing I'm talking about. I have a friend who married a much older man. (She was 19, he was 52.) I asked her if she thought she would still love him when she was only 40 and he was over 70. She said she knows they won't be together that long, and she has no intentions of sticking around to change his diapers. This was only 2 months after they were married. Now they've been married almost 3 years and she wants to divorce him b/c he's "a fuddy-dud". Well, of course he's not gonna want to go out and party like she does. He's ready to settle down. So why did she even marry him? Oh and no, he's definitely not rich. She's the one working. He has NO money.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I agree with you guys that cheating is grounds for divorce. But I see questions like "My DH plays video games instead of spending time with me. ....."Oh, you should leave!".......Or "My DH wants to buy this movie instead of putting money into savings." ....."He's an immature kid. Divorce him."......Or "DH said I needed to get a job to help him."........"Oh. no. He's trying to control you. Kick him out!"....It just makes me so sad. Society has gotten so lazy these days that people would rather get a divorce then spend time and energy TALKING and trying to work out problems.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Sometimes. I also think women on here encourage other moms to call CPS on someone even if it is the most minor of things.
    Anonymous