Are you in this country illegally?

You can post anonymously of course, but explain why you didn't come here legally and maybe that will shed some light on the subject for those who categorize "illegals" with "criminals".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No I am not, or was ever, I came here on a tourist visa and stayed, I understand the saga, and I do not categorize illegals with being criminals.

Answer by older at 12:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You're one of the few who don't and that's good. I don't categorize illegals as criminals unless they are doing something "criminal". Like trafficking, murdering or raping.
    Anonymous

• I doubt there are people that are in the US "illegally" on cm. People are in the US illegally because they can't get in legally, they can't get a green card or visa. They may have been here legally and their documentation expired and they didn't want to or felt they couldn't go back to their country.

I lived in family student housing at a major university. Almost all the families were from other countries. There was a family from China that had a second child and felt they couldn't go back to China with two children. They couldn't get extensions on their student visas. So what do they do, stay in the US or go back to China where the rest of their lives will be horrible because they have two children and they will be social outcasts.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Yes... lol! No, of course not. But to be honest, I don't understand why we are so rigid about who comes in... If it was easier to become legal, we would have less illegals! Why is it that new comers have so many hoops to jump through when those born here can just be deadbeat citizens and it's no big deal...
    Anonymous

• The family from China had converted to Christianity and the pregnancy was a birth control failure. Because of their new US beliefs they didn't have a abortion like they would have had in China.

Remember we are talking about illegals that these are people and most were in a bad situation and are coming to the US to start a new life just like our great grandparents or great great grandparent did.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I bet there are Illegals on CM, remember many where brought here by their parents when they were much younger so obviouslythey have adopted to the "American Life" they went to school here and obviously learned English. But of course they cannot become "legal" since they crossed Illegally, but not by choice. I am the first generation to be born here in the USA,I am Mexican Americanand I am VERY proud of my heritage. My dad came here illegally when he was 16 back in 1970 and do did my mom at the same age but 6 years later. They were married in 1979 in Mexico where they are both from, I was born in 1981 and my parents where still illegalthen. They where finally able to be come legal in 1983, 5 years later they both became US Citizens. I do not look down on those illegals that don't have the means to become legal. It's not as easy to become legal as it once was, that's why it upsets me when so many people say leave and then

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Nope. I was born here so I am legal. However many illegals live around me. It is part of where I live. We rely on their work for our farms. So I don't judge them as criminals. I understand it is hard to become legal and even if home is worse you aren't 'guaranteed' to be allowed to stay. It's horrible but true. And when home is as horrible as some of the places I have heard about, I can't blame them for staying here illegally.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Anon :04. UM HELLO, they're here illegally which IS A CRIME!!! Hence they are acting criminally.
    Anonymous

• By the constitution, I am here legally. I guess my ancestors were the first illegals in my bloodline since they came from Germany.
    Anonymous

• if you think about it, nobody in the world is truely "american" everybody in this world is mixed with one race or another..
    Mami2b86

Answer by Mami2b86 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2010