An interesting quote I discovered yesterday.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."
-Thomas Jefferson

Thoughts? Comments? Snide remarks?

charliebean

Asked by charliebean at 12:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Interesting, especially since he was one of our founding fathers of our nation. This is an example of how this is not a nation founded under Christianity, but rather one of an open mind.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I like the quote because you should question your beliefs or at the very least question what is preached because more often than not, the preacher has his own agenda.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• If I remember correctly, Thomas Jefferson was a deist, so this quote does not surprise me. Also, I agree with it. It certainly has a lot of wisdom in it.
    Anonymous

• Thomas Jefferson was a highly intelligent and supremely quotable man. And I agree with the quote, because we were gifted with reason and logic for a purpose.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Aww, you guys are so intellectual! My ex says all CM is is a bunch of "dumb broads" sitting around gossiping. Thanks for proving mommies have brains :)
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 1:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• *bumpity*
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 1:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The bible says to pray for wisdom. Yes, I like this quote and I think God approves when we question everything.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I like this quote... I think there is more strength to a belief that has been questioned and thought over than one that is blindly accepted. This reminds me of the Buddha's quotation that we should question all things and see if they are in accordance with our reason and experience before we believe anything.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• TJ was a brilliant man.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• `I like it and agree very much so.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010