What is the easiest way to teach my two year old his colors?

KeishaChante

Asked by KeishaChante at 12:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Work on one a week, everything you see that is that color say.

Example you see a yellow shirt, say yellow shirt. or yellow flower, yellow picture, just keep repeating it eventually he will say it.

the whole week do one color then when you move on to the next color just review yellow.

Good luck, I miss them days.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Repetition repetition repetition. Call everything by it's name but with the color, too. Like "here's your red shirt." I'm going to go sit on the "brown couch"... all the time. You can find some toys of different colors and sort them by colors -- look at all the blue toys I found! Here's a blue train and a blue truck and a blue bear and a blue ball! Here's a yellow block and a yellow bucket and a yellow duck! etc... If you try to do this when you can, it shouldn't be an issue...
    Anonymous

• Repition. Point out the color of things around you everywhere you go. Sort toys into groups of the same color. Ask him for specific things by color - can you give Mommy the green block? It's not something you just sit down and do one activiity one time and he knows it; you just have to incorporate it into everything you do. Do the same with shapes, letters, numbers, and other basics. A two year old is a sponge for learning!
    Anonymous

• I used to get my son M&Ms at my other son's baseball games. We would sit there and go over the colors of the m&ms as he ate them. It was fun!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Give him color shoices everyday......"do you want your brown socks or your green ones?" and show him both. When he points to one, say "Ok. Green today" .... Make it an all day/ every day thing.......just a natural part of life!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• In everyday conversation talk about colors.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Crayons worked for us. We dumped them on the floor and I held the box and he had to identify the color before putting it back. It was like a game! Try it!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Being repeditive. "Johnny, use the blue Crayon." "Did you see how fast that red truck was going?" "That yellow duck sure is cute, huh?" Are some examples of how you can incooperate the colors into your everday lives. You can also use his toys as examples for colors. "Can you help me put together all the blue blocks, Johnny?" And correct him if he grabs the wrong color by saying "That's a red block, can you help me find all the blue blocks?" Show him which color is which when you suggest that's the one you want. Being repeditive and using colors, numbers, letters in your everyday lives as if it's what you always do is the best way to teach them. You can also try educational TV programs like Seasme Street too. However, him learning from you is the best way.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• we also do the m&m thing. i bought a big bag at easter and it has pink and purple in it, and added it to a regular bag to get most of the 'beginer' colors. we also go to the library for storytimes and work on colors some there, our leader is also teaching the sign for each color so she gets credit for saying it or doing the sign.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2010