Is it rude to send out registry announements if we're not having a baby shower?

I just moved to three hours away from my friends and family. I dont have anyone to throw me a shower, but we could really use some help getting stuff for the baby. I was just wondering if it's rude to send out registry announcements...

MayBaby0507

Asked by MayBaby0507 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you could go back to your home town for a shower. Otherwise I would just wait and let people ask you where you are registered.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• yeah it is its like saying yeah im not having a shower but buy me things anyway some people might see it as rude
    Anonymous

• Im sorry you just moved I know how that feels but its completely rude to just send out annoucements where you registered.
    Anonymous

• Ok, I thought it may come off as rude also, but my SO didnt think so... but he's a guy. LOL. Thanks for the answers.
    MayBaby0507

Answer by MayBaby0507 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No problem. I was only 19 when I had my dd and it was complete surprize to a lot of family and friends. But almost every person I know sent us a gift or a giftcard after she was born. So hopefully the same will happen to you.
    Anonymous

• Yes, IMO it is kinda rude.. Its like expecting your child to get gifts from friends without a party..
    You could always see if a family member would throw your baby shower in the town u came from.. (you can easily ask family to do something without feeling odd about it)..
    or wait till people start asking what you need..
    but to send out a registry is going to confuse people & i wouldnt be suprised if someone doesnt ask where the invitiation is...
    You could always put simple on Facebook/Myspace "Just finished my registry" and some may look at it & buy... but i wouldnt mail them out formally or anything.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Any time you beg for gifts it is rude and tacky.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I did it!

Because it was our second child and no-one had the money to throw a baby shower. My fam amd his were already planning to buy gifts( that's what they told us). So I sent Expecting/Impending Arrival cards with registry info. amd pics of our 1 1/2 yr. old at the time.
    I recieved gifts from my family side but not so much his. I think it's ok depending on your relationships. ME and BD had so much FUN registering it didn't matter that everyone didn't give a gift...we have or memories and story to tell each child.
    novice2008

Answer by novice2008 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Yes and No..

Sometimes people are really busy in their lives and they can't make it to a baby shower but would really like to give a gift....
    Others would love to go to a baby shower and experience the games, etc. I wouldn't send them out but I would say something in an email or facebook saying that you have registered and if anyone is interested to ask you for details. You could have your baby shower after you give birth, I did and am planniing on doing so with this one. It gives your friends and family an excuse to come see the new baby! So, if you can't have a baby shower before, maybe send out invatiations (maybe your boyfriend/husband can throw you one) After the baby is born and have a diaper party, or a new arrival party. Those are fun too.
    skylarsmommy24

Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2010