(in your opinion) What is the best Home School program?

Any recommendations? Have you tried mulitple programs?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 12:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ahhh, the ones where you actually send your kids to school.

Anonymous

• I like K12. Some states use this for their online school programs. :)
    Anonymous

• There is no BEST program. It all depends on the individual, their learning style, and their needs. Every child is different.
    Anonymous

• I like A beka book, we used the pre-k program and my son is doing work that my sisters (she is a teacher) 2nd grade class is doing. I am not religious (the hubby is and used a beka book all the way through school) so I skip the religious lessons. I am currently looking for a secular program for gifted students.

and anon homeschooled children are in general at or above their grade level.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The research is overwhelming that homeschooling is best for kids.

I don't think there is any "best" program. How well home school works and how happy your family is depends on the right match of the progam to the philosophy of the parents and the personality and learning styles of the children. If you use a "program" it should allow the child to work at their own pace, there shouldn't be busy work like worksheets, and it should encourage "real life"  learning and lifelong learning.

I homeschooled my 3 children and didn't use a program. I started out using the texts used by local schools. My oldest son was at a high school level when he was 2nd grade so I started using college texts. We settled into mostly unschooling.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You can find lots of homschooling moms on the discussion boards at http://www.mothering.com/

Your state board of education should have info for homeschooling families. We now live in AZ and the state has an online homeschooling program that free for AZ kids. Indiana has online classes and online high school. There is a lot of info on the Indiana State Board of Education about programs if your state doesn't have much.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Perhaps, try allowing a child to learn other points of view than solely yours, in the isolation of your home?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The idea that homeschooled children are isolated is a common misconception. All of the homeschool children I know are very social,  The socialize and do well around many different groups of people. They learn about many different points of views.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Home school isn't isolation. My children go on field trips and interact with other children on a DAILY bases. Putting them in Public/Private Schools teach just the same "point of views". Teaching Science, Language Arts, Math, Reading, and etc. is a very broad and general form of education.

Program/Text/Curriculum...I'm really not trying to get into the debate of what is what. And yes, Every child is different, and learns differently. No, there may not be "THE BEST" homeschooling Program/Text/Curriculum/etc.  for everyone to follow.

I just want to know IF YOU HOME SCHOOL OR PLAN TO, which curriculums, etc have you or do you follow and IN YOUR OWN OPINION which do you think is best?

Im looking up Belta, and K12 is interesting.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I was homeschooled 20 years ago, so this might be a little out of date, BUT.... We used the mennonite books for the first couple years because my mom like the Christian focus. Then she liked abeka after that. Good luck! You're doing the right thing!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2010