how do i know if im in true labor?

veronica397

Asked by veronica397 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• when you get a pain soo bad you think your dieing! believe me you will know when you in labor!!!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• you should go in to see your doctor even if your not sure your having real labor pains so he can check you to see... and its a good way to see if your dialated too.
    Anonymous

• I knew when my contractions got closer together and were exactly 5 minutes apart from eachother for about an hour.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Your contractions should be about the same distance apart each time -- like 5 minutes or so -- and strong enough that you have to stop what you're doing during them.
    Anonymous

• When you contractions get closer together and stronger. If you can't talk through a contraction you are in labor.
    Anonymous

• Contrary to what is being said, contractions do not always regulate- mine, with all 3 of my babies, were extremely irregular. When you reach a point that you need to stop and take a breath, have a hard time talking through a contraction, or feel like you want to sit down... then you'll know it's the real deal. It's not always "painful", but can also feel like a lot of pressure, when you have contractions, your belly will be hard and round, and may feel like it is pushing down. You may also have back labor if you have a posterior baby, and you won't really feel any abdominal pain, you'll have anything from a low, deep backache, to stabbing pains in your lower back, hips, and even thighs, as it affects your sciatic nerve.

Anon- Getting checked while in labor is the best way to get an infection. There is NEVER a reason to "check" to see if you are dilated, when it is time to push, your body knows what to do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• When you have a baby. Going to your doctor as anon said is not a good idea IMO. First, you may have several starts at prelabor, and going to the doctor every time is going to stress everyone out. It's not necessary. Second, even if your doctor checks you and says you're 2 cm dilated, that does not predict when you go into labor. It's best to stay at home and relax until your contractions are 5 minutes apart and regular and labor is intense enough YOU CAN'T THINK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE. I never thought I was going to die, so if you wait for that, you might have a baby at home. Spoil yourself! Eat some healthy munchies, drink lots of water, go for a walk, have sex, go out to dinner... when you absolutely can't do any of these things, you might be in labor. It helped me to set myself up for a long labor so I didn't get anxious and just let it happen at it's own pace.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You may have had lots of bowel movements. You should have seen your mucous plug, when you dilate it starts coming out. I was always throwing up and had to have a bowl in the car with me on the way to the hospital.

You don't have to be physically checked to be evaluated for labor. People that work with laboring women like doulas, L&D nurses, midwives, mds should be trained on what to look for to tell what stage of labor a woman is in. However, if you don't want to be checked in labor you will probably have to stay at home. Hospitals usually don't let you let your body do it's thing. I had one of my babies like that and my doctor almost lost his ability to practice at that hospital.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I couldn't stop walking or moving, It hurt to sit or lay down or hold still.... I went to the hospital expecting to get sent home cuz I wasn't in that much pain lol but surprise I was 6 cm lol and having contractions every 2 mins
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• maybe obby can answer this, if contractions are irregular, isn't there still a number to watch for, like 12 in one hour? not everyone will know they are in labor as strange as it sounds!
    for most women there are contractions that get closer together, they are regular, and as they get closer together they get stronger too. sometimes water breaks before contractions, sometimes during birth!
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2010