Do you think...

Christianity would be the world power it is if Jesus had lived 1000 years later? Or 1000 years earlier?

I was watching a documentary on the Dark Ages. And it really made me see how the timing of the Christian movement had a lot to do with it's popularity. People needed something to unite them as their world collapsed around them. But had Jesus lived 1000 years later or earlier things could have been very very different... What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christianity may not have existed...

Anyone else see the irony about the Christian movement being popular in the Dark Ages? Why are we still trying to live there.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I think Christianity would still exist, but it wouldn't be the power house it is now... If anything though, I think Islam would be the "power house" instead!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The world always feels like it's collapsing around some part of the world. You don't think it felt like this in Europe during and after WWI, or WWII.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Ditto to Ryansmom. Look at how many people even today think the world is going to come crashing down any second because of the recent earthquakes and other natural disasters. There always would have been "something" that caused people to want to unite and helped many turn towards Christianity.
    Anonymous

• I think that it is according to God's plan and I don't question the timing. I think it happened right when it was supposed to.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I wish I could have seen that documentary. (This is cool question.) He could not have lived later because the bible records him speaking of the future, the end, and such. Could he have lived earlier? Maybe not because of lack of population? I dont know.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I agree with sabrina. It would be a lot less powerful, and worshipped.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I wish I could have seen that documentary.

I don't know if OP is talking about the same one, but History Channel has one that's on Netflix instant view.

As to the question - if the timing had been different, the story would be much different. The spread of Christianity is tied directly to the Roman Empire. At a different time, earlier or later, the pieces wouldn't have fallen into place to ride Rome's coattails around Europe and exterminate all the other religions.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We would probably be building henges instead of churches, and dancing naked in the woods instead of vaccuming the church floor with our foreheads. Church property would be used for housing the homeless or building clinics to help the sick instead of the empty, worthless buildings that are there now. Our pagan beliefs had sustained us for thousands of years before the Roman Empire came and forced Christ down our throats. I think things would have been very different.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2010