How long did it take your breastfed baby to sleep through the night?

My son is 5 months 3 weeks and still gets up every 3 hours to sleep.

I'm exhausted!!! When did your breastfed baby sleep through the night?

Dodie702

Asked by Dodie702 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Same story as you, we are co sleeping and she is 6 months old, she wakes, or rather stirrs, to eat then goes right back to sleep. i have not been clocking it but i get to sleep 8pm to 7am
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My 3 kids were around 3 y. That's normal. There is one mom on cm whose child was over 4.

Human babies are supposed to wake at night to make sure they are with their mother and safe. That's how the human race has survived, evolution. Human babies' brains are hardwired to wake at night and scream if they aren't next to mom.

You might like to read more. You can go to google and type in Dettwyler. She is an anthropologist that researches this topic.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Close to 7 months maybe even a little longer. They both nursed very often until around 10 months (when they started table foods) They began to self wean around 14 months.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• about 9-10 mos
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My oldest was about 3 months old, and my youngest about 6 weeks old.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I didn't add that I haven't slept through the night in over 30 years. By the time my last baby was sleeping through the night I was well in my 30s and my bladder can't make it through the night. I have to get up to pee. I also only sleep about 6 hours now that I am in my 50s and can sleep as much as I want.

When my oldest son was around 12 mo I decided I was going to stop thinking about sleeping through the night. Good thing I gave up on it since it hasn't happened.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• He was 13 months and had to be weened before he would sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

• Mine have been SO different! My first didn't sleep through the night consistantly until 2 years old when I finally used the Ferber method because I was about to have another baby and didn't think I could take 2 kids waking up in the night. My second slept through the night consitantly by 6 weeks old, I didn't even believe it was possible until she did it. My third is 3 months old and he sometimes sleeps through the night and sometimes wakes up once.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• 14 months. Baby not a puppy, sorry.
    Anonymous

• All 4 of my breastfed my babies slept through the night (8 plus hours) by 2 months.

Answer by missanc at 3:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010