toddler diarrea and little blood?

my son is almost 17 months old and this morning when i changed is poopy diaper saw 2 little spots of blood in his diarrhea diaper... it had be watery for going on about 2-3 days now , its usually hard or something never watery...so when i saw the spots i got really worried... i did not see it in any other diaper today but im not sure what could be causing it... should i take him in to urgent care or ER now or wait for the next few diapers to see if it gets any better? he is my first and im not quite sure what to do... please help...has this happened to you? also he is not straining or crying when making diapers

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would call your doctor, I don't think you need to take him to the ER, but call your doc. Was the blood in his poop, or was his tush just irritated?

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Is it bright red fresh blood? If so, it's not a bad idea to take him in. I'm assuming he hasn't eaten anything red lately (tomato, strawberry...?). If it's darker, like old blood, it's not as urgent. Is he teething?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• *darker blood not as urgent because it's not necessarily an active bleed, but still something to see the doctor for. Check his temp, too, just to see....
    Adelicious

• it was in his poop no rash... it was bright red... he had strawberries a few days ago at a friends house but that was sunday... he is teething he has been chewing on everything
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• no fever and he is acting normal
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2010