How to cut a 1 year old's fingernails?

My dd is 1 and throws a fit everytime I cut her nails. It's crazy....she acts as though I'm trying to kill her! She will do anything and everything to get away. It's weird because I don't think I have ever cut her nails too short before so I'm not sure why she goes crazy! I try to sing and talk to her. I hold her so she feels more comfortable. I can't do it while she is sleeping because she wakes up. It's ridiculous. I tried today, gave up, and had to walk away because I couldn't handle her screaming anymore. Any ideas on how to make this go smoother?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 1:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bump, me too!
    Pocketmouse

Answer by Pocketmouse at 1:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• sometimes it takes me a whole day or two to get through my twin boys nails (16 months) lol Sad but true, one nail at a time!!!! haha
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We went thru this too. It all comes down to this...she knows that the nail is a part of her body and it's scary when mommy wants to cut it off. Have you showed her that you cut your nails? Even though I like my nails longer, I would cut one of mine and then one of hers until they were all done. Had to do that with toes too. It took awhile but eventually it worked out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• give her something special to hold while you clip. i give my daughter a sticker to look at or a marker (that is closed). she loves markers and she does not get them often. she is 19 months. if i dont do this then she will scream too!! you could try a piece of chocolate. lol good luck
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• when he was sleeping I did it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• since mine was a baby i waited till he was out, now he is older and is just use to it...he knows wed and sunday ill be checking his nails.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Oh boy! We had this prob. as well with our DD! She is almost 3 and getting better....not as much screaming/fighting with us. I don't know why they do this....I don't think its from cutting it too short. Just keep trying and sometimes both of us had to hold her down just to do her feet. I hated it with a passion....but it had to get done. It is just a phase and they will get over it.....try to be patient.....and even if you do one nail at a time....that's one closer to all of them being cut! Good Luck!! :)
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I wonder if filing them would be easier on her (I always hate filing my nails personally, I'd rather cut them). If she's scared of the cutting, maybe that could work for you! :) Good luck! You're making me grateful that DS never really had an issue with getting his nails cut.
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I bite them off, she won't let me file or clip and wakes up when i try, but she loves me "eating" her fingers.
    Anonymous

• when she is sleeping....its also a good time to remove band aids. lol
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 3:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2010