Is eating lunch meat really that bad?

I get lunch meat for my partner to make sandwitches often, and have been wanting to eat some really bad. But I hurd that lucnh meats are on the 'not to eat' list when your pregnant. Is it true, or is it really bad for me to have a one a day when im hungrey?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no, as long as it is cured
    Anonymous

• I heard it was when I was pregnant. I heard because of the bacteria in lunch meat and not to eat it unless it is cooked. But I asked my doctor about that he told me it wasn't true I ate lunch meat with both of my pregnancies 2 years and 5 yaears ago and they both are fine and so was I
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• OK....I never got this either....my OB said i had to heat the lunch meat up???...I think that's sooo gross....I don't like "warm" meat.
    I don't bother....
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You can avoid getting the infection from Listeria by heating cold cuts to steaming.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You can zap it in the microwave... it only takes a few seconds. It cools right back down, also in a few seconds. Try it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I was told that because of the bacteria that could be on it that I had to microwave the meat until it is steaming....and I agree with Sandypops about it being gross...so I don't bother either....but I will buy one of those honey spiral sliced hams..cook it..and then use the left overs from that to make sandwiches...or I will do the same thing with an oven roaster if I'm in the mood for chicken.
    CrazyKiss

Answer by CrazyKiss at 1:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I ate lunch all the time while pregnant and my daughter is just fine in fact she loves to eat it so we have it on hand all the time. I never heated it up. I ate it cold and was just fine. So if you do not like hot lunch meat eat it cold and also talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• Mommy 5409 may have been fine and other people you know may have been fine but the infection is so bad, do you want to take that risk. It can cause miscarriage, premature delivery, infection in the newborn, and stillbirth. In 25% of cases the baby dies.

When you hear commercials about birth control pills they will say there is a risk of blood clots. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them just like they won't get an infection from cold cuts. I got blood clots, not just one, the bottom of both my lungs filled with clots. One clot can kill you if you aren't treated right away. I have a son that is a RN that was home and lived 1 mile from the hospital or I would be dead. My lungs are damaged for life.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Listeria, the bacteria behind the *ban* on lunch meat, is more commonly spread through raw milk products and unpasteurized dairy than anything else. The last outbreak from listeria contaminated meat products was in 2002, if that tells you how rare it is. You're more likely to have complications from a flu shot so I say eat the meat, especially if it's prepackaged from the manufacturer as opposed to fresh sliced from the deli counter.
    Anonymous

• Is it bad for children and other adults to eat lunch meat then? Or is it just because we're pregnant that we have to heat it up????....
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 2:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010