Adoption question

My friend has a 7yr old boy with a "man" who has finally decided to sign over his rights to him. She has married a wonderful man, and they have another child together. Her husband really wants to adopt her son, and the father has agreed to it. But she is being told it will cost over 1,000$! She is soo upset about it. They don't have taht kind of money, and neither of their families can help them out. Has anyone ever done this before? how much did it cost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Adoption, period, isn't cheap. Step-child adoption isn't as expensive, and there are a couple ways to do it. My BIL adopted his step-son - they printed off the necessary paperwork that they found online, had to go before a judge, yadda yadda yadda, it cost them about $500. My brother has been trying to adopt his step-daughter, they've been going through a lawyer but the lawyer was horrible, so far they're out about $2500 but through a lawyer it costs anywhere from $3000-5000 - which is why BIL did it the way he did it. Of course it depends on the state they live in too, both of these are/were in the same state so it may be cheaper or more expensive elsewhere.
    Anonymous

• the best advice that I should follow too (hubby wants to adopt my boys), after he signs over the rights. Just have the last name changed to hubby then make sure there is a will in place
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2010