How do i occupy my 11 month old ?

I haven't had much money to buy him any toys. they are so expensive. He is bored all the time. I try and play with him but it tires me out I can't play with him 24/7 i need a rest too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put on nick jr. you should really try and get some toys. give him household things that he can play with if you dont have toys, like spatulas pots pans etc., play music & dance with him
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Pots and pans!!!
    I let my twin boys crawl over our bed...and just watch them so they don't fall off , obviously!
    While your cooking or doing whatever, put him in his high chair, if you have one and let him watch what you are doing....(give him a little snack like pretzles or something to munch on).
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My dd would rather play with an empty soda bottle than any of her toys! I made sensory bottles for her that she loves. I just filled them up with water and oil and put food coloring in them, sparkles, rocks, anything! and then hot glued them shut. I put rice and dried beans inside of plastic eggs and hot glued them shut and she loves to shake them! I cut a paper towel roll in half, put rice in it and duct taped the entire thing so no rice can come out and she loves to shakes those too. My dd can play in the dirt for awhile without becoming bored. Take a chair outside and watch them dig so you know nothing is going into their mouths! She played with a box for hours, she loves balls too they are very inexpensive. I can give my dd crayons and watch her go to town for awhile. I put out tubs of water and let her play with them, put in food coloring to add excitement. I put blue and red water on her highchair tray last night and
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• put little toys on there so she is playing with the toys she does have in a whole new way. Pots and pans for children is always fun..they love to beat those! Just look around your house and you will see tons of things that can be used for fun for children. My daughter can play with my phone, purse and credit cards for hours too. Maybe she is just easily entertained?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Don't turn on the TV. My 18 mo grandson's favorite toy is 2 bamboo salad forks I got at Walgreen's on clearance for a quarter. He likes to stack and unstack plastic glasses and measuring cups. Of course he drags everything out of the pot cabinet. Some days when I know he's coming I hide easter eggs with 1 little snack in each. He likes shaking spices but can now get lids off if not new or on very tight - he is strong. 

I get things at yard sales. I was so bummed at Christmas. I didn't have any money and his parents didn't have any money. I took my son to work about a week before Christmas at 7 am and a church was getting ready for a yard sale (Arizona). They had all these great toys that cost $30 or more and they were $1.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My son likes our pets, being naked, bottles with LARGE caps (not a choking hazard) he can take off and on, tupperware containers with large lids he can take the lids off and on (not a choking hazard), various cooking things like spatulas, potato masher, getting in baby safe cupboards, the cats toys (large not choking hazard), me reading books to him (you can go to the library or go buy second hand), going outside and sitting or crawling, the kitchen broom, his own little mop we made him out of a broken mop, and just basic blocks and a basic sorter, me singing, the dishwasher's silverware tray with a few spoons in it he can take in and out, and watching me clean/"helping" me clean, better than ANY of the fancy expensive toys we've ever had given to us.
    Anonymous

• Oh and he loves music too. Put on the radio and dance and watch baby dance.

You can take breaks, they don't need your undivided attention 24/7.. by this age they can usually entertain themselves if you give them lots of things to do.

He's never watched TV. Ever. Ever. And I get plenty of time to get things I want to do done because I incorporate my son into it. For instance if I have to make a call I give him this old broken cell phone we have. If I am cleaning I give him his own "cleaning" supplies, if I am showering he is stuck in the hall with baby gates and lots of tupperware containers and just basic blocks to stick in and out of them, etc. etc. You don't have to sit and stare at the baby 24/7.. they generally LOVE to watch -you- do things. But of course they like when you play and tickle and have them jump on the bed and chase them and read to them etc. but you CAN get things done if you let them join in..
    Anonymous

• Wear your baby in a wrap/sling on your back. Trust me that the entertainment for them is boundless while you do chores.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2010