Can you have an MRI if you have a tatoo?

I'm thinking about getting a tiny one on my foot but due to tumors in my arm I need to get an MRI occasionally.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Health

• I'm an MRI Technologist. You can have MRI's with tattoos, what we do at our facility is as a preventative measure we give you an ice pack to place on the tattoo for about 20-30 min because it can heat up, depending on the size, placement and color of the tattoo. Now, i've been doing this job for 8yrs and only had one person tell me they felt the area heat up a bit and it did swell, we were scanning the area where the tattoo was at. That is temporary. If you're getting MRI's on your arm and the tattoo is on your foot it wont matter.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it would matter, since it's just your skin..
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• yes you can
    Anonymous

• Yes you can have an MRI... People with old tattoo's im talking 20 years + can have slight discomfort because the ink they used to use to do tat's had small metal fragments in it. Don't worry about it, I have about 10 hours worth of tattoo's and have had an MRI with no problems.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Yes since it sees thru your skin and ink will not impeed it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Yes you can.  You cannot have an MRI if you have any metal in your body because it is like a giant magnet.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• MRI tech again here, btw, the metal issue depends on what it is. if you have metal in the body, it would depend on the location and type of metal, some can be imaged. we do scans on patients with metal all the time, joint replacements, stents, just depends on what you're doing.
    Anonymous

• This "myth" was DEBUNKED on "Mythbusters"!!
    -----------------

some tattoo ink even eye makeup contain tiny metal flakes to make it look pretty. It really can cause a little heating up.
    Anonymous

• Yep I have tattoos and Ive had lots of MRIs.
    babysmama03

Answer by babysmama03 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Yes, your tattoo would have to be ancient for it to be a danger, when inks contained traces of metal. So don't worry, you will be fine.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2010