How do we ask this?

For DS's bday I thought it might be a good idea to have him pick one friend and take him to a local amusement park. It would be DH, me, and the two boys. We can afford that but we can't afford two extra adults. We don't mind the boys parents coming if they want, but we can't afford to pay for them too - basically if the parents come they'd have to pay their own way. How do I invite him while saying this without it sounding...crappy that we kind of invite them to come at their expense?

PS I can't do a party of any other "options." I know nothing about any of that. I'd totally botch anything along those lines.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just say that your would like to pay their child's way to the park, but that it would be cool if they could come along if they want. I am sure they will get the clue that you cannot pay their admission as well, and that it is their decision if they want to come or not. I think that sounds like a really fun birthday. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I just wouldn't even invite the other parents, unless they asked, then tell them you'd love to have them join you but while you can pay for their child you can't pay for them.
    Anonymous

• people know that you can not pay for them. i mean at least i know that i would be paying for myslef....i guess not everyone is like that. i think it is pretty awesome that you are doing this though!!
    Anonymous

• I think this sounds like a great idea - I would love it if someone invited my son to something like this! I would just say you are inviting the child to go with you, and they should understand then that you are only offering to pay for him. Then if they ask about coming along you could say something like "We would love it if you wanted to come along! Of course, we would like to pa for Johnny's ticket." That way you are only saying the positive part, but by pointing it out you are implying that you won't be paying the parents' tix since oyu didn't mention that. Btw, if I were the one whose son got invited, I would totally assume that I would have to pay for myself if I wanted to go, and in fact I wouldn't even assume right off the bat that you were paying for my son since amusement parks are so expensive!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Oh, I think you just say "We'd like to invite Johnny to come to the amusement park with us for Billy's birthday." If they ask to come I would think they would expect to pay their own way. I would never assume another parent would pay for me to do something like this. If you wanted to invite them outright, though, I guess you could just say something like "If you would like to come too I can find out how much tickets are, but Johnny would be our son's guest so he is our treat." Something like that that doesn't outright say you expect them to pay up, you know? Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I would just say that you and your husband are taking your son to the amusement park for his birthday and he would like to invite (friend) to come along and that you and hubby will be paying his way, and set up a time that you could go pick up the child or they could drop the child off at your home. If at this point they mention wanting to accompany their child, then just say sure that would be great, but we are only able to pay for their child ticket, but they are more than welcome to come along.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We did this for my son's birthday one year. I just called the mothers and asked if their son could come with us. Believe me, no parent wants to go. They were all thrilled to be left out of it. We brought 2 boys and it was great.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• We did something similar for my son's birthday last year. I simply said "We'd like to invite [child's name] to join us for the new Pirate Ship Cruise on the river to celebrate DS's birthday. It'd be [date and time] and we'll meet at the marina. If you or anyone else would like to join us the tickets cost $x. Just let me know so I can book your tickets with hours to be sure we all make the same cruise time. "

A friend is hosting her son's birthday party at a minor league ball park. The invite said "As [birthday boy's name] friend, we'd like to invite you to [team's name] vs [other team] on [date and time.] Your ticket is on us!" In parenthesis they wrote "additional tickets for parents and/or siblings may be ordered for $9/ticket. Let us know if you want to join us and we'll book your seats with our group!"

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Just ask the parents if their CHILD can come with to the amusement park to celebrate your sons birthday. Nice and simple.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

hours
    ours
    Anonymous