My Son Wont Eat!

My 26 month old son is a VERY picky eater, everyone says its a phase but Its been like this since he started eating whole foods. All he likes is crackers, waffles, sausage and bacon or beef stew, he wont eat anything else. he does like fruit and stuff like that but has anyone else had a picky eater? I cant keep feeding him waffles for dinner every night can I? Please help.

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is like this too from time to time. I'll tell you what the pediatrician told my friend (whose son is the same age as mine), b/c it made me feel better so maybe it will make you feel better: If a toddler eats what adds up to just one good meal a day, they're doing fine. :o) Hang in there!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Don't give him a choice. Make something and tell him that's what's for his meal. If he's hungry enough he'll eat it. He won't starve. As long as he has an option, he will continue to be picky.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Good luck! my son just turned 3 and hes the same way! he has always been a picky eater, and i think he probably always will be! Just keep trying. As long as he is gaining weight i wouldnt worry about it to much!!
    Stephanie0709

Answer by Stephanie0709 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• my daughter has moments when she is picky. some days she eats good though. i just have to remember if she is hungry she will eat. i have bribed her before, like i will tell her if you eat your chicken i will give you a jellybean (or something like that lol) the problem i have is more her not wanting to eat anything.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• and i think my son hates cheese! What kid doesnt like cheese? LOL
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My 5 year old was like this at first, but I stopped giving him the option and negotiating. Now he'll pretty much eat anything. With the baby, he's just starting table foods and I just give him what we are having, with hopes of avoiding any "i don't like it........"
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I was talking about this about my son with some friends yesterday and one said that she heard a comedian or someone say once, "It amazes me that a child can live off of 5 cheerios a day"
    So it is super common and a general phase. My son gained 1.5 lbs in the last month and i dont think he even ate 1/5 lbs of food! Its crazy but somehow they survive. Mine is 19 months and he still shares our meals at restaurants because he eats so little.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Dont give options. I have a son that will be 3 may 23 and my bf son will be 4 in sept. we dont give options for dinner or lunch breakfast we do from yogurt, banana, apple, fruit loops, apple sauce granola bar. Healthy options for breakfast. After every meal the boys get to go into the pantry to their TREAT box and pick a snack of their choice but only if they eat all that was on their plate. IN the treat box we have yogurt covered pretzels, quaker granola bars, welches fruit snacks, small bags of goldfish, fruit strips, stuff like that. They think its a HUGE deal to go pick out of a huge bucket. Sometimes they still dont want to eat their dinner but more often then not they end up doing it for the option to get a snack. and Dont give drinks with meals until they are about half way done, otherwise they down the milk or juice and then they really arent hungry. giving options to eat something else makes them remain in control
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 3:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• The air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac & cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, eventually he will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2010