My roses seem to be so scraggly and not producing as many flowers lately. The leaves have this brown blotchy look to them in spots. Is there anything specific I can do to fix this?

Nluvwitasailor

Asked by Nluvwitasailor at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I have several roses and 'black spot' happens every year for me...From what I understand, it's b/c of the humidity and the 'wetness' on the leaves that cause this...it is a fungus, and once it starts it's hard to stop...but you can control it somewhat...
    A fungicide might help a little...but make sure you do this: Water your roses at the bottom of the plant...if you live in a humid area and you water them with a sprinkler (i.e..getting the leaves wet) you're just adding 'fuel to the fire'...b/c 'black spot' loves moist wet leaves that won't dry immediately.
    I've heard that you have a better chance of avoiding black spot when the rose season starts by spraying with fungicide...but the beginning of the rose season always escapes me...lol...so I haven't tried this out yet...Good Luck!
    MurphyBSheltie

Answer by MurphyBSheltie at 11:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Not sure, maybe contact someone in Plant Sciences at Cornell University to help you?
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• get a container of cayene pepper
    boil 4 gallons of water and pour the pepper into it
    after it cools, pour it at the base of the rose bushes and spray the leaves with the remaining
    adamandramona

Answer by adamandramona at 1:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• you can buy rose food, the brand I have used before is made by Bayer. Also you can ask a nursery attendant at Home Depot and they can tell you if it is bugs or not, but to me it just sounds like it may need some food specifically for roses. Hope it does the trick.
    jeracoshoney

Answer by jeracoshoney at 1:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• did you trim off the dead flowers last fall? the reason roses are perfect cut flowers is that a bush will have a hard time blooming back up because the old dead blooms dont fall off like most other plants - i suggest going out with some shears and trimming off any you can still find this will help them produce more this season since they still bloom into late fall.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You need to trim back the plant to keep it blooming and bushy. It sounds like the leaves have a fungus so you need to buy a fungicide and fertilize it with fertilizer for Roses.
    lisafc

Answer by lisafc at 2:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Cut off old buds with scissors or shears they will fill in blothchy look in bushes, spots on leaves could indicate over watering.
    tlist

Answer by tlist at 11:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2008