Should I tell my 7 year old daughter that her aunt is an alcoholic?

My older sister has been an alcoholic long before my daughter was born. She lived 3 hours away so we hardly saw her. She moved in with my mom and dad in December and stayed sober for about a month. Now she is drinking all the time and she is a NASTY drunk. My sister is starting a lot of problems with my parents (to the point where my mom is going to move back to CT until my sister leaves). My sister is all nice nice to my daughter's face and then after we leave my sister tries to get my daughter in trouble by saying things that are not true. Whenever my daughter goes to my mom's house she wants to play with her auntie Kate, but my sister is always drunk and in an awful mood. When my daughter asks why auntie will not come out of her room I just tell her that auntie is not feeling well. Should I tell her the truth?

Christine7647

Asked by Christine7647 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• No, just tell your Daughter her Aunt is sick and has some problems and that she needs to leave her be. And if I were u I'd not leave my Daughter there with her JMO Good luck!
    BabyDrae12

Answer by BabyDrae12 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i absolutely agree with the first answer
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Your dd doesn't need to understand what *alcoholic* means at 7yo - or to have her aunt labeled a certain way. But I would seriously limit her exposure to her aunt...and absolutely NOT leave her alone with her for safety reasons (emotional and physical).

I agree with simply telling your dd that her aunt is sick and has some problems to work out. You are modeling healthy boundaries without judgment to her at this age. She will soak in your attitudes, so be careful not to be mean about her aunt, especially since it sounds like she really looks up to her...in a few years, she could very well seek the attention of the aunt and follow her footsteps just to have a buddy who will listen (because mom is...well, mom).
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 7:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• NO !!
    roseisme

Answer by roseisme at 8:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• No shes to young to know about those types of problems. just continue the way your are unless you daughter starts question more about it.
    jlbtnc

Answer by jlbtnc at 9:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think you are giving a seven year old enough information for the situation. As she gets older, or if she is the victim of the nastiness, you can use it to gently inform her about the alcoholism. Answer questions simply, like you did. Just enough to satisfy her curiosity until she is old enough to understand.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• No. My uncle is an alcoholic and growing up I NEVER knew. I just knew that he wasn't around a lot. He showed up at the house one time drunk and he was not allowed back. Any contact was closely monitored and I hardly ever saw him even though we all lived in the same town. This situation is a bit too complex to explain to a child.
    LovingLife226

Answer by LovingLife226 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• NO..JUST TELL HER SHE'S SICK..I MEAN TECHNICALLY BEING A ALCOHOLIC IS A ILLNESS...SHE'S TOO YOUNG TO FULLY UNDERSTAND THE MEANING...I WOULD ALSO GET YOUR SISTER HELP
    SATX23

Answer by SATX23 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i would just tell her that she drinks things that are bad for her because she is sick. and i wouldnt bring it up unless she is asking.. like "why does auntie get so loud at nanas?"
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2008