Do you believe that someone who believes in God has a mental illness?

I read this answer in another question and I was wondering if that was a common thought. Just for the record, I do NOT think that. I think lack of a belief in God just means you haven't met Him yet. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, but judging from the un-believers I've personally come in contact with, I do think however that many people who don't hold some belief in a higher power tend to lean a bit toward the narcissistic side of things, some more than others. Insisting that people who do hold some belief in a higher power must be mentally ill just so they can feel superior in some way shape or form, goes hand in hand with that completely IMO.
    Anonymous

• no.
    Anonymous

• In no way does it mean you have a mental illness. But it's interesting that people are so quick to blame it on something tangible. Rather then admitting there COULD be a force out there BIGGER and STRONGER then man.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• LOL, no. I was the one who put that answer, and I don't believe so either, but I've seen that said by somebody in that post several times. It was meant to be sarcastic.
    Anonymous

• Nope. Although I know many people with mental issues who believe in God, I don't think there is a correlation between the two. I DO however believe that mental issues and the way that someone connects to and reacts to their religious beliefs and convictions do have a connection. Obviously someone who is highly paranoid due to mental issues and who is strictly Christian has a better chance at seeing the Devil in everything! So, in a way, mental capacity and condition and religious beliefs and traditions can and do affect one another. However the belief or non-belief in God and a mental condition have no correlation.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• No, not at all.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I am interested in seeing how popular that belief is though...
    Anonymous

• If they do, that would be the first mental illness that's contagious! lol
    Anonymous

• As I have stated so very, very, very many times before.... Any adult who has imaginary friends, is mentally ill. It does not matter if you are a teacher, lawyer, doctor, or a friggin congressman, you're still ill.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I knew you would pop up Obby! lol
    I can see the point but then I look at my kids and the complexity of our bodies and know that we were put together by something very loving.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2010