Why won't my daughter do/hand in her homework???

My younger daughter (by 4 minutes) refuses to hand in or do her homework. She's extremely bright (all 90-100's on tests and quizzes) but is failing 2 classes all do to failure to turn in her work. I have tried getting her organized, made her join Homework Club in school, but still to no avail. This has been going on for a few years now and I don't know what else to do. HELP!!!

nicolepierre

Asked by nicolepierre at 2:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Could she have ADHD?
    Anonymous

• My ADD son won't do his either. He flat out refuses. Doesn't care if he fails.
    Anonymous

• Have you had her tested for her actual learning levels? My mom had the same problem with me when I was in school and they tested me and told my mom it was because I was bored. I was above the learning level for the grade I was actually in. they moved me up a grade and no problems after that. She just might be bored with the learning material that is below her. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I did the same thing...I managed to pass grades barely. I finally did my work in 11th grade. I am still not sure I could/would do it even now. I believe my problem was/is ADD, but, I never went to the doctor to do anything about it. I probably should....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Have you asked your daughter?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My daughter was in a GT program yet repeatedly she had to go to Sat.Study Hall.We would get there her principle would go with us to her locker and wow all this homework neatly and correctly done just not turned in.Finally had her tested and she has mild ADHD.Never any behavior problems .She is on the lowest dose patch for her age and weight and turned her distractiblity around

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I would just ask her...
    But I would guess she is either bored, depressed, or very disorganized (which can be from ADD or ADHD).
    We had the same issue with my SD (15). For her, it was a combination of all 3 things, but mainly disorganization. We ended up having to do a homework folder (yes, like in elementary school). Each period she would write down her homework, & each teacher had to sign it at the end of class every day. I felt bad treating her like a little kid, but she wouldn't get her crap together, & to make it worse, she was lying to us about it. So we did what we had to do.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Try speaking to her. If there's something wrong, and she's as smart as you say, she'll tell you. Let her know no matter what she won't be in trouble for whatever she tells you.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 3:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2010