Time-Out for an 11 month old

My son will be a year old June 3rd. He sometimes has all out tantrums when he cant have what he wants and I would like to use time out as discipline but am not sure what to make the time out. I have read about a lot of people taking them to their crib for 1 minute or until the fit is over but I am worried about him thinking his crib is a "bad" place. He goes to sleep on his own and likes to lay in his bed and talk to his bear and I really don't want to spoil that. Any suggestions? Does it need to be something like a crib that he is not able to get out of on his own or can it be any designated area to be successful?

mccurry328

Asked by mccurry328 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 11 months old. Typically if she is throwing a fit, I just let her go at it until she is done.
    Anonymous

• I think he's too young, but on Super Nanny she uses a mat, like a door mat. I wouldn't use his crib. That is a happy place, don't change that. We say "Go sit on the stairs".
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• An 11 year old doesn't even know they're in the world yet.
    How can they think to change their behavior?

Do you remember a damned thing from when you were 11 months old?
    Remember thinking about anything?
    Anonymous

• No time outs this young! Time outs should start around age 2. The earliest I would do time outs is at 20 months (though all the experts recommend 24 months). You never, ever use a crib for punishment. You will eventual foster sleep problems if you do that routinely.

You don't discipline an infant. You simply teach and reteach the desirable behaviors and use redirection to distract from undesirable behaviors and simply ignore tantrums.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Honey, you need to learn about child development. You don't do time-outs with an 11 month old.

Time outs don't work well at any age. They don't stop bad behavior and they don't teach good behavior. Children's behavior gets worse, they like and sneak, and they resent their parents. Hitting, popping (code for hitting), taking things away, ect don't work. They are all forms of punishment and psychologists know this is not an effective way to parent.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• A good first book about toddlers is Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary.

It sounds like you are having power struggles with your baby. You need to learn to interact with your child in ways to avoid problems. Pay attention and anticipate situations that might cause issues. Baby proof the house so baby can move around freely.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My DD is 12 months old and she throws tantrums. The only thing I do is set her down. She's not allowed to throw a fit while I'm holding her. (this is for my safety mainly) Just setting her down usually gets her to want me again, and she can't have me until she's done with her fit.

Anonymous

• Oh, I want to add that she throws fits when I tell her to stop trying to grab my glasses*
    Anonymous

• i would pop her hand tell her no and make her go sit down untillshe can calm down it has worked for all the kids i care for and they all know ney ney has a time out spot evn the little on whos almost 8 mths old i go acccchnt and they all look up even the little one its funny lol
    RavenSwift

Answer by RavenSwift at 4:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Too young for time out. Research shows time outs don't work well for most kids of any age. Why do you need to do a time out for a tantrum? Kids this age have tantrums, it is developmental. You can't "discipline" it out of them. The will stop if they are not reinforced. By not giving in to the tantrums you are showing your child that they don't work. At the same time you want to show your child the right thing to do. If they have a fit because you won't give them a candy bar then you calmly say "You are mad because you want the candy bar. No, we are not having candy right now." That is what you want, is for your child to talk to you instead of kick and scream. You can start modeling that for them now.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010