HELPP

My mom babysits a little boy that is 1 month younger than my daughter and he SCREAMS all day long.
We just tried taking them to the zoo and he screamed the entire time. He screamed the entire ride back home. I'm sooooo over it.
He's like this because his grandma spoils the crap out of him all the time. All he has to do is make a noise, and she picks him up. Well, he is just not going to get held all day b/c there are TWO babies to take care of.
He is driving me nuts. I've been off for a week and all he does is scream the ENTIRE TIME...
I love the kid, but c'mon - does he HAVE TO scream for everything.
If I tell him no (very quietly) he screams for an hour....
MY EARS CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE and my daughter cries when he screams ... my daughter is a very good child and can pretty much occupy herself (b/c she doesn't need help to do anything - lol).
any advice here would be much appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nava, it is terrible that you let a 4 month old CIO. You know why she no longer cries when something is bothering her? Because you taught her that when she cries you won't be there. That's just sad.

To the OP, have you considered food allergies? My sister was told her daughter had colic over and over. Her baby screamed and cried her entire first year. She was FF and later allergy tested and discovered she was allergic to soy and dairy (along with corn, wheat, and a ton of other foods).
    Anonymous

• It sounds like he is in pain. Maybe an undetected ear infection? Teething?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• OP HERE:
    He has been like this since forever.
    His mom has taken him to the doctor all the time, and the doctor says nothing is wrong. I thought it was an ear infection too - but doctor says his ears are fine.
    Anonymous

• Something must be wrong. A baby shouldn't cry like that for no reason.
    Anonymous

• How old is he?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• OP HERE:
    Anon: I completely agree. But her dumb doctor swears nothing is wrong. I don't know what else to do for him - I really don't. I do not know how my mom does it all day and all week with him crying like this.
    Anonymous

• If the mom is paying your mom to care for her baby and holding the baby stops the screaming then your mom should hold the baby or tell the mom to find another sitter that will. It is horrible to let a baby scream all day because neither of you want to pick the baby up. Babies are supposed to be held. When I cared for other people's babies I held them and put them in slings and carried them.

Way to go grandma. At least he has one person in his life that is responsive to him.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• He is about 10 months.
    Anonymous

• op here:
    he gets plenty of interaction throughout the day - so he is not neglected (as you are trying to hint at). There is something wrong with him b/c even when he is being held he screams.
    I don't appreciate any judgements going on - I came on here for advice and all you did was judge ... that is NOT helpful.
    This is exactly why I do not post questions on here b/c of ppl like you. Thanks for nothing.
    Anonymous

• I think he misses his mom. My DD would scream the entire time I was away from her until she was over 2 years old. So, I just didn't go without her unless it was necessary (like the 2 times I had to go to the dentist). He probably is scared and suffering from separation anxiety. You need to let his mother know that this is going on. She needs to know how miserable he is when she's leaving him.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010